Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Provisioning Manager: How do I create qtrees in a pre-existing volume?

brace

Is there a way to get  Provisioning Manager to create qtrees in a pre-existing  volume?

Here are the steps I tried.

1. Filer commandline:  Create an aggregate "aggr1" and a volume in the aggregate  "vol1"

2. dfm host discover  to make sure DFM knows about the aggregate and volume, including  capacity.

3. Create a resource  pool "aggr1" containing "tweedledee:aggr1"

4. Create a NAS  provisioning policy to guarantee volume, and snapshot  space.

5. Create a dataset  and either name it "vol1" or set the name prefix as  "vol1"

6. Use "aggr1" as my  resource pool.

7. Add a  physical  resource "tweedledee:/vol1" to my "vol1" dataset

When I tell  provisiong manager to create a qtree, say, "qtree1" within "vol1" dataset.  Instead of creating "tweedledee:/vol1/qtree1" PM carves out a new volume and  creates "tweedledee:/vol1_1/qtree1"

I can do other  operations on "tweedledee:/vol1" within the dataset such as resize the volume, or  modify the shares, but I can't create qtrees within the volume. Even with  testpoints, there's nothing in any of the logs that indicates a selection  process.

Is there any secret  sauce or is this simply, "as designed"?

5 REPLIES 5

tanmoy

Hello Brace,

There is no way to provision qtrees in an existing volume; this is by design!! But for next qtree provisioning an existing volume which is provisioned by Provisioning Manager will be used.

Thanks

Tanmoy

shailaja

As Tanmoy said, Provisioning Manager does not support creation of qtree on pre-existing volume.

Could you elaborate on which scenarios you would like to use a pre-existing volume,

basically could'nt Provisioning Manager could have been used to create the volume ?

Thanks,

Shailaja

brace

That's simple. Pretty much any enterprise customer that does the layout and design of their storage prior to deployment.

In this particular instance, the customer is migrating data from non-netapp systems, they pre-created most of their volumes and qtrees in preparation for migrating the data. Once data is migrated they want to turn over the creation of qtrees and quotas to an L2 group and they will limit the group's capabilities through RBAC.

They have other existing netapp systems that they would like to turn daily management tasks to the L2 group. Since they purchased these storage controllers prior to purchasing Provisioning Manager, they have a mature deployment. PM will not allow them to create their qtrees.

Now i'm going to have to tell the customer that if they want to create qtrees in their existing volumes, they have to do it manually and that the product won't do what they purchased it to do. The customer will not be happy with this and will likely ask for their money back for the provisioning manager license.

rle
NetApp Alumni

System Manager will create qtrees and it is free.  I realize that it Provisioning Manager, but it is an excellent GUI.

jenni

Hi,

I'm currently out of the office with no access to email.

Queries regarding patches => dl-patches@netapp.com

Queries regarding core/data automation => dl-sustools-automation@netapp.com

I'll return return any mails when I'm back in the office.

Regards,

-jenni

--

Jennifer Coopersmith

Sustaining Engineer

NetApp Global Services

NetApp

408.822.6908 Direct

510.825.5600 Mobile

jenni@netapp.com

www.netapp.com

--