Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Really basic commands for carving out new shelf...

wlandymore

I'm just starting with Netapp and I have a FAS2040 filer with one shelf that's already configured. I have added a 2nd shelf to this and it's now showing the 14 new disks. I just have a couple of questions before I start....

If I wanted to make one huge aggr and volume with one spare would I just use:

aggr create "name"

and then basically for the volume as well?

Also, if I want to assign certain disks to volumes that already exist how can I do that?

Sorry for the basic questions. I was looking through the documentation on the filer but I didn't see stuff that covered this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jb2cool01

I believe that the command you'd run would be something similar to "aggr add <aggr name> all" as you've probably already got one aggregate in place. You'd probably want to check the RAID group sizing forst though as you really want all your RAID groups the same size. I'm never that great with the command line so i'd be tempted to use something like 'System Manager' to configure this.

For Volume then the command will be something like "vol create <vol name>" but i think it'll ask for more arguments so I'd sooner do this via system manager as i'm a CLI newbie.

Now, regarding your assign certain disks to a volume question. Netapp does not really work that way any more. If you wanted to use certain disks for certain volumes then you either have to create traditional volumes on those disks (Old way of doing it) or create smaller aggregates using just the disks you want. The more desired way (In my eyes) is to spread the aggregate over all of your disks and then just make your volumes on the large single aggregate.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

jb2cool01

I believe that the command you'd run would be something similar to "aggr add <aggr name> all" as you've probably already got one aggregate in place. You'd probably want to check the RAID group sizing forst though as you really want all your RAID groups the same size. I'm never that great with the command line so i'd be tempted to use something like 'System Manager' to configure this.

For Volume then the command will be something like "vol create <vol name>" but i think it'll ask for more arguments so I'd sooner do this via system manager as i'm a CLI newbie.

Now, regarding your assign certain disks to a volume question. Netapp does not really work that way any more. If you wanted to use certain disks for certain volumes then you either have to create traditional volumes on those disks (Old way of doing it) or create smaller aggregates using just the disks you want. The more desired way (In my eyes) is to spread the aggregate over all of your disks and then just make your volumes on the large single aggregate.

wlandymore

Okay, that makes total sense about just adding them to a preexisting aggregate. Thanks.

I'll have to make a new one for the last 5 disks because this one only supports 16TB aggregates so I can't add them all, but that's not a biggie.

Public