Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

SQL tunnel

nscherer

Hi,

IHAC where the user facing tool is HPOO (HP Operations Orchestration) and all workflows will be started in HPOO. To create a user friendly interface in HPOO (e.g. a drop down list containing existing vfilers or volumes) we need a way to access the data in the WFA cache, similar to the SQL statements in WFAs user input fields. One way would be to allow HPOO to directly access the WFA MySQL database but I would prefer to use the web service interface to do that.

Is this possible in the current release (1.1.1)?

Are there any plans on implementing something like this in a future version?

Any other hints/thoughts/recommendations?

Thanks,

Nico

4 REPLIES 4

yaronh

Hi Nico,

from 1.1 onwards WFA features a read-only DB user with complete access to the cached information.

Username:     wfa

Password:     Wfa123

It allows full RO access to the common and proprietary information caches of WFA.

I am not aware of but certain there are query engines that may allow HPOO to send and recieve
info from a MySQL DB.

Hope that helps,

Yaron Haimsohn

WFA Team

hland

Hi Nico,

this is available from the webservices today via the getAllWorkflows call. Take a look using the Powershell proxy described in the webservice primer document from Yaron. Once your ran the webservice call, access the array of user inputs like this:

PS C:\Users\hland> $workflows[25].userInput[0].value

Beijing

Bremen

Duesseldorf

Graz

Hamburg

Kecskemet

Ludwigsfelde

Rastatt

Sindelfingen

Tuscaloosa

Vitoria

PS C:\Users\hland>

In this example $workflows holds the result of the getAllWorkflows webservice call. Workflow ID is 26 (so 25 for the workflow array as it starts at 0). The example gets the values for the first user input, therefore ID 0 for the user input array.

In the example, a list of OnCommand groups is returned (where each group represents a datacenter location), however this could be any other user input query or an enum.

The only thing that doesn't work is cascaded user inputs (where the SQL query for a user input is based on another user input).

@Yaron: Maybe you can check with your team if there is any way to support cascaded user input queries in the future...

Regards

Hendrik

nscherer

Hi Hendrik,

I've tried this and it seems to work

Unfortunately the index for accessing the data elements is not related to the workflow id, at least not in our environment. It looks like the list of workflow ids is not sequential anymore once you start deleting workflows...

However, you can check the workflow id for an index with:

PS P:\> $workflows[34]

category         : {none}

description      : create NAS volume following the StorCon design for systems in group WFA_NAS

id : 40

idSpecified      : True

name : ns - Create StorCon NAS Volume

returnParameters : {volume_created}

userInput        : {vfiler, volname, secstyle, size}

and then access the data:

PS P:\> $workflows[34].userInput[0].value

HLOF000002

HLOF000002

HLOF000003

HLOF000010

hill

Hi Nico,

A method I've seen customers use for getting lists of vFilers or volumes is for the orchestration tool (HPOO in your case) to interface with Operations Manager / OnCommand Unified Manager via the NMSDK.  They typically use Perl wrappers around the API calls to get the information they're looking for to populate the drop-downs, though other methods are available as well.

• in the case of vFilers, you might use the "vfiler-list-info" API to gather the list of vFilers you're looking for.
  • in the case of volumes, you could use the "volume-lst-info-iter-*" APIs (where * is start, next, and end).

I've done similar things in the past for getting lists of storage services put into a PHP page, so I know this is a viable option.

More information about the NMSDK can be found here: https://communities.netapp.com/community/interfaces_and_tools/developer/apidoc

Hope this helps,

Kevin Hill

WFA Team

Public