Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Show back and charge back - What happened to all the storage we puchased....

BrendonHiggins

My boss wants me to add storage usage and trend information on a per system basis to my monthly reports.  We have DFM (Oncommand now), SCOM and powershell so I was thinking of pulling together a report which would show the data inside the LUN (OS usage), Flexvol and snap usage, then snapmirror and snapvault usage.  We could then charge back to the business to show the true internal value of the storage consumed by projects and services.

We have 15 filers and over a 1,000 luns so this will not be a simple task.

Can anyone recommend a solution or a procedure to follow?  We already have DFM reports based on services and flexvols but the reports do not easily break down into what the storage usage actually is.

Cheers

Bren

3 REPLIES 3

colin_graham

Hey Bren.

Ive noticed that NSM v2 actually gives the space utilisation inside the lun even if its fully space-reserved... not sure if the same info is available via DFM/Powershell.

Failing that, you could use powershell to connect to the servers and query WMI for space usage using Get-WmiObject Win32_logicaldisk

Cheers

Col G

ostiguy

Most customers charge back on what is allocated, not what is consumed (when you buy a shirt from Macy's, they don't care how many times you wear it). OnCommand Insight Plan has the ability to correlate luns to hosts, allowed you to apply meta data (such as business units, applications, tier, data center, etc) to hosts and storage, and report off of that.

BrendonHiggins

Thanks for all the help.  I resolved the problem using DFM and an Excel pivot table.  Now working on creating improved reports but the information given is more than good enough for my requirements.

Bren

Public