Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

System Manager 1.0.1

rle
NetApp Alumni

System Manager 1.0.1 is now available at: http://now.netapp.com/NOW/cgi-bin/software.

This release fixes burt 360643, deleting volumes when intending to delete snapshots, burt 3371883, checking for existing LUN IDs, and some other bugs.  Please check the release notes for the complete list.

This release also supports any platform running ONTAP 7.2.3 up to but not including 8.0.  V-series storage systems are not supported with this release

Thank-you for your continued usage of System Manager.

- Rick -

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

misra

You can uninstall System Manager 1.0 and then install System Manager

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26

collieritops

Hi,

Just wanted to say we're very happy with System Manager...its such an improvement over FilerView. I hope a lot of effort continues going into developing & improving it...

As we use it frequently, I do have a few suggestions for improvements/feature requests:

1.) Performance -- it seems like the app calls to the filer every time I do something. For instance, when I open aggregates it has to query for all the disk info. For an 80 disk aggregate this takes maybe 4 or 5 seconds during which time I can't do anything (hourglass icon). If I click volumes and then come back to aggregates it does this again. So it seems like NSM is constantly querying live to the filers for info. Can't it cache some of this to speed up responsiveness? Maybe store some of this info in a small local database so it can read it locally and update periodically.

2.) Add a 'Used Space' column in volumes view. This data is in the Aggregate space breakout..it would be nice to have it in the volume list too.

3.) Add the ability to add, remove, customize or move around columns.

4.) Add a FILTER or SEARCH capability -- when I'm in volumes it would be nice to search and only show volumes with "ESX" in the name... or only show me volumes that are > 90% used... or only show me volumes in specified aggregate.

5.) Add a column under LUN Management view to show which igroup each LUN is mapped to -- the way like it's displayed in FilerView.

6.) Add some kind of view for igroups to show all assigned LUN IDs. When creating a LUN it can sometimes be a chore to figure out what the next available LUN # is.

7.) Add the ability to select multiple volumes and apply certain settings (Space, Auto size, Dedupe and Advanced tab settings).

We use System Manager a lot and I think these would be very useful features/enhancements.

-Brian

collieritops

Any comments on when some of these requests might make it into the product? Are any in the roadmap?

Are we going to see NetApp put a lot of resources into NSM to improve their system management capabilities or is this going to just be a little side tool that doesn't get much attention?

collieritops

I've noticed that the Date/Time column for Snapshot copies on a vol in NSM are off by 4 hours. For example, if the snap took place at 6:16PM (verified with snap list directly from filer), NSM shows the snapshot time as 10:16.

Is that a bug or do we have some kind of incorrect timezone setting?

josh_foley

I have the same issue and it just started. Did you figure it out?

rle
NetApp Alumni

Please see burt 383135 and this community posting.  Also the burt notes suggest installing System Manager 1.1R1.

Regards,

- Rick -

josh_foley

hmmm, maybe I am not seeing something. I am on 1.1 R1 but in the thread I couldn't find resolution. Is this a limiting factor to 1.1 R1? The funny thing is, this just started happening over the weekend and we have been using the netapp for about 2 months.

I also recently update to DataOnTap 8.0.x. I guess perhaps it started happening then and I didn't notice but I think not.

Public