Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Thin provisoned volume autogrow monitor - Appliance Watch

BrendonHiggins

How can I configure Appliance Watch to alert on volume auto grow events on the filer?  I have seen the Volume Autosized event in Operations Manager but do not know how to configure AW to alert on the same.  Below is the alert in the filers console.

Wed Oct 13 11:01:08 BST  [SAN01: wafl.vol.autoSize.done:info]: Automatic increase size of volume  'vms01' by 26214400 kbytes done.

Cheers

Bren

6 REPLIES 6

fjohn

Use SNMP

1.  Set the trap destination for the filer(s) you want to monitor.

2.  Load the NetApp MIB for your ONTAP version

3.  Configure an action for the specif event (NA_volumeautogrow)

J

adaikkap

Either make snmp trap host as AW from filer or forward the events in dfm to AW as traps.

regards

adai

BrendonHiggins

Thanks for the help everyone.  Before I could test the new SCOM server died!  I have turned on Operations manager alerting while SCOM is fixed.  Will test solutions given when the server comes back to life.

Thanks

Bren

adaikkap

Even for the dfm to generate this alert, in the filer dfm has to set as the snmp trap host as this is a trap event from the filer that come to DFM and then generated as dfm event.

Regards

adai

watan

AppWatch does alerts for Thin Provisioned Volume Autogrow for SCVMM/Hyper-V environments - any Hyper-V VM on NetApp Storage monitored by AppWatch will generate this alert and can automatically be alerted via email,sms, etc with the "custom subscription" function within SCOM.

For Non-SCVMM/Hyper-V environments you'll need to use the SNMP traps like Adai suggested.

BrendonHiggins

Given up on SCOM for now.  Will try again next year.

Thanks for the help all

Bren

Public