Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Unable to upgrade Unified Manager to 6.3...unable to change to /media/cdrom error

BCBrad

I'm trying to upgrade our Unified Manager 6.3 RC1 instance to 6.3, and get the following error when I kick off the upgrade through the CLI:

Checking available disk space.

Setting up the ISO...

E: Unable to change to /media/cdrom - chdir (2: No such file or directory)
Invalid ISO

Make sure that a valid ISO is mounted on the virtual CD/DVD device.

I have confirmed the MD5 sum of the ISO and confirmed that it is connected to the VM. I have restarted the VM as well, to no avail. That seems to be about all I can do to troubleshoot this with shell access locked. Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

bobshouseofcards

It's a bug due to a version change in the underlying OS image on the Virtual Appliance version of OCUM 6.3 GA.  They didn't catch it until really late (just before release really) and it would have taken a couple of weeks to fix it due to the required licensing scan of all the underlying software required.  Yes, even a very simple change would require a complete license scan which takes a long time given all the underlying software elements.

Anyway, the software download page for OCUM 6.3 GA calls out the issue as an "Important Notice" as follows:

Important: When you upgrade Unified Manager 6.3 RC1 to Unified Manager 6.3 GA, the upgrade fails with the following error message:
Using CD-ROM mount point /media/cdrom/Identifying...Invalid ISO. Make sure that a valid ISO is mounted on the virtual CD/DVD device.
For more information, see the NetApp KB Article 2025520.

You can access the KB's at "kb.netapp.com" for which you will need a login.  Use the same login you would normally use to access the support site for software downloads.  It turns out that there is a diagnostic mechanism to get to the shell in the appliance version of OCUM, which you'll use to correct this very simply.  Had to do the same thing myself for my setup.

Hope this helps you.

Bob Greenwald

Lead Storage Engineer

Huron Legal | Huron Consulting Group

NCIE - SAN Clustered, Data Protection

Kudos and accepted solutions are always appreciated.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

bobshouseofcards

It's a bug due to a version change in the underlying OS image on the Virtual Appliance version of OCUM 6.3 GA.  They didn't catch it until really late (just before release really) and it would have taken a couple of weeks to fix it due to the required licensing scan of all the underlying software required.  Yes, even a very simple change would require a complete license scan which takes a long time given all the underlying software elements.

Anyway, the software download page for OCUM 6.3 GA calls out the issue as an "Important Notice" as follows:

Important: When you upgrade Unified Manager 6.3 RC1 to Unified Manager 6.3 GA, the upgrade fails with the following error message:
Using CD-ROM mount point /media/cdrom/Identifying...Invalid ISO. Make sure that a valid ISO is mounted on the virtual CD/DVD device.
For more information, see the NetApp KB Article 2025520.

You can access the KB's at "kb.netapp.com" for which you will need a login.  Use the same login you would normally use to access the support site for software downloads.  It turns out that there is a diagnostic mechanism to get to the shell in the appliance version of OCUM, which you'll use to correct this very simply.  Had to do the same thing myself for my setup.

Hope this helps you.

Bob Greenwald

Lead Storage Engineer

Huron Legal | Huron Consulting Group

NCIE - SAN Clustered, Data Protection

Kudos and accepted solutions are always appreciated.

sarfaraz

Thanks Bob 

Please follow the NetApp KB Article 2025520. Once you create a sym link as mentioned in the KB, follow the normal upgrade procedure. 

Public