Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Use Operations Manager to notify me of Snapmirror lag?

pborkstrom

Hello and thanks for checking the post out.

I have approximately 90 qtree and volume snapmirror relationships in or around 23 filers.  I learned the power of reports withing Operations Manager to display the lag, but I need to take it to the next level.

Our friendly neighborhood auditor would like to see a mechanism where we are notified when a snapmirror either fails or lags too long.  Long before DFM/Operations Manager arrived, I set up all the snapmirror relationships manually.  DFM discovered all my snapmirrors, but it does not manage any of them.  Thus, no 2 SM relationships have the same policy (they're "Discovered Async 01-90").

From poking around the help file, I found where to config a lag threshold for each relationship, but I would like to set a global lag threshold.  The reason is if I forget to configure DFM after I configure a snapmirror relationship, I would like some form of a safety net to notify me of old/broken snapmirrors.

Where/How can I set the default sm lag threshold, and what alarm should I use to notify me?  I'd like to set the threshold for 18 hours (as all but 5-6 relationships are daily snapmirrors).  I'll add 2 screenshots to maybe lend a bit of clarity.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Phil

2 REPLIES 2

pborkstrom

I opened a ticket w/Netapp tech support.  They said that the documentation on what those default thresholds are set at isn't available to them.  I configured a report in OpsMgr to send me all snapmirror relationships, sorted by Lag time.  This is not ideal, but is a decent workaround.

rshiva

Hi,

We used to have "snapmirrorlagerrorthreshold" and "snapmirrorlagwarningthreshold" as the global options in Operations Manager but at some point of time they disapperared. I don't have the exact reasons for the engineers to abandon these useful options . However, If you have set the lag through BCO then you can try using the Operations Manager's alarms to trigger email/pager based notifications for the following events:

SnapMirror: Nearly Out Of Date

SnapMirror: Out Of Date

Thanks and regards

Shiva Raja

Public