Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

WFA 4.1 No longer Works with 7-mode?

TABER_BRANDEN

I've installed WFA 4.1GA and getting "Failed to Connect to Controller" on every 7 mode box.

I tested doing a manual connection on the WFA server via powershell and it appears something is messed up with the SDK.

PS C:\Windows\system32> connect-nacontroller nas1
connect-nacontroller : Failed to load ntapadmin64 DLL
At line:1 char:1
+ connect-nacontroller nas1
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : InvalidResult: (nas1:NaController) [Connect-NaController], Exception
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : RpcConnectionFailed,DataONTAP.PowerShell.SDK.ConnectNaController

3 REPLIES 3

abhit

I think it is because of the upgraded Powershell Toolkit version which uses .NET 4.5.2 version.

Install the latest .NET version it will work.

Regards

Abhi

TABER_BRANDEN

Hello,

I updated to the latest .Net package 4.6.2 and this did not make a difference unfortunately.

What I have noticed is that it will connect if I provide credentials in powershell outside of WFA. Is there somehow in the WFA commands to do the same sort of thing? I tried "-Credential" in the "Connect-WFAController" command but it's not a recognized paramenter.

Working outside WFA: 

PS C:\Windows\system32> connect-nacontroller nas1 -Credential $a

Name Address Ontapi Version
---- ------- ------ -------
nas1.... xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 1.19 NetApp Release 8.1.3P1 7-Mode: Wed Jul 10 20:17:...

Not working in WFA (command powershell code):

param (
[parameter(Mandatory=$true, HelpMessage="Array name or IP address")]
[string]$Array,

[parameter(Mandatory=$true, HelpMessage="Share name")]
[string]$ShareName,

[parameter(Mandatory=$false, HelpMessage="Virtual Filer name")]
[string]$VFilerName
)

# connect to controller
Connect-WFAController -Array $Array -VFiler $VFilerName

# Check that Qtree exists
$ShareStatus = Get-NaCifsShare -ShareName $ShareName -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue
if ($ShareStatus)
{
$msg = "Sorry there is already a share named" + " " + $ShareName + ". " + "It is located at" + " " + $ShareStatus.MountPoint + ". " + "Make sure you entered the correct share name, try a different share name if possible, or contact a NAS team member to assist."
throw $msg
}
else
{
}

TABER_BRANDEN

After doing some more digging I finally solved this. I found this forum article that references a registry change that needs to be applied to lower the minimum certificate length.

http://community.netapp.com/t5/Microsoft-Cloud-and-Virtualization-Discussions/API-invoke-failed/m-p/124099#M5097

Edit: Long term solution is to renew the ssl key on each controller to something more than 512 bits by default. 1024 or 2048.

https://library.netapp.com/ecmdocs/ECMP1511537/html/man1/na_secureadmin.1.html

Public