Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

WFA to execute unix scripts on a unix server

ANEESH235

Can WFA  workflows execute  unix  scripts on a unix server . If it can execute script  do you have a  working example

10 REPLIES 10

ag
NetApp

Hi Aneesh,

You can definitely execute a unix script/command remotely and capture the output.

I do not have an example script or the exact way of doing it but here is what you can try:

I am assuming you have the script on the WFA machine.

Create a new command that makes use of the tool 'plink' to connect to a remote machine. Something like this:

$cmd = `C:\plink.exe -ssh -m C:\checkspace.sh name@ip -pw password ` > C:\output.txt

source:https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/microsoft.public.windows.powershell/sDJZtr9qUfk

I haven't checked the correctness of the command yet. For the powershell syntax, you can check other commands.

In case you need help with creating the command, let me know.

I suggest you first try the command from the PS CLI.

I will try to explore for a better answer for you.

-Anil

rle
NetApp Alumni

HI Aneesh,

You should also be able to create a command that performs SSH directly to the UNIX box.  You can use PowerShell or Perl to make the connection.

Regards,

- Rick -

sinhaa

Aneesh,

WFA can do anything that a powershell and .NET can do and a powershell can do (almost) anything. You don't need any external tools or APIs. You can use Invoke-NaSsh cmdlet to get this done.

Attaching the .dar file which is a WFA command to do it. This .dar can be imported on WFA2.0.1 or above.

Command Code:

=================

param (

[parameter(Mandatory=$true, HelpMessage="Unix Command or Script Path")]

[string]$Script,

[parameter(Mandatory=$true, HelpMessage="Unix Host Name")]

[string]$UnixHost

)

try {

$creds =  Get-NaCredentials -Host $UnixHost

}

catch  {

$creds =  Get-WfaCredentials -Host $UnixHost

}

$returnData= Invoke-NaSsh -Name $UnixHost -Credential $creds -Command $Script

Get-WFALogger -Info -Message $returnData

======================

sinhaa

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

ANEESH235

Do i need to create a passwordless ssh between the WFA server host ( windows server ) and the target unix server  to exeute this workflow . How can the workflow get the target unix host credentials .

sinhaa

No Aneesh. This doesn't require passwordless login. You can set the credentials of your Unix Host at tab "Execution" => "Credentials" . If you read the description of this command, it tell you where to save the credentials.

1. Add Credentials

2. Match: Exact

3. Type: Other

4. Give username and password.

5. Save it.

See the image below.

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

calori

May I use this procedure to execute a remote script in Windows too ?

sinhaa

Yes, only you need to have SSH server ( e.g. Openssh or FreeSSHD etc.)  running on your windows host.

SURESH_SENNIAPPAN

Is there any example workflow for calling unix script from WFA ? If means can any one share ?

sinhaa

I've already attached the .dar file for the command and also the command code along with the instructions how to use it. You need anything else?

SURESH_SENNIAPPAN

i need an example workflow to call the  script from the unix server.

Public