Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

What is this Pipeline Variable?

jrpatrick

I tried searching and I didn't see any reference to this in any of the online product docs.  If I missed it, please instruct me and chastise appropriately.

I noticed something new when I updated a custom command I had written, back in version 2.0.2, now imported on version 2.2.  When I hit the discover parameters, I noticed this pipeline variable in the param definition tab.  First, did I some how cause this to happen by doing something wrong or is this part of some new feature I need to learn about.

Thanks everyone.

17 REPLIES 17

abhit

I did'nt understand what you meant by the pipeline variable.

Can you please post a screen shot so that it we can understand the same.

Regards

Abhi

jrpatrick

Here is a copy of the code of a custom command I wrote in 2.0.2.  I recently updated it.  Added the random hr/min bit.

Ran the discover params and I see this now with the PipelineVariable in it.

sinhaa

Can you export and send your command. I'm not able to reproduce it by trying a command having similar code as in your image. For me , it works fine.

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

abhit

Hi:

We are able to reproduce the issue internally. This looks like a bug

and will require investigation.

I have opened a bug in our bug tracking system for the same.

The number is 838349.

Regards

Abhi

abhit

Found a workaround.

Just edited the command code in the "Command Definition"->"Code" tab.

Added a log statement after the parameters are defined.

Did a "Discover Parameters" again. The "PiplelineVaribale" went away.

Regards

Abhi

2006FatBoy

Which log command did you use?  You mean Get-WfaLogger?  Or something else?

paragp

Pipeline variables were introduced in powershell 4.0. We haven't tested WFA with 4.0. You can find out your powershell version by entering $PSVersionTable.PSVersion on the powershell prompt on WFA server

jrpatrick

It's PS Version 4.  This WFA on a Windows 2012 Server.

paragp

WFA is supported on Microsoft Windows Server 2012 SE (64-bit, x64) which comes with PowerShell 3.0. I am afraid you would have to downgrade powershell to 3.0

ag
NetApp

Patrick,

Can you attach the backup of the command taken on WFA 2.0.2 ?

dburklan

I am trying to create a few custom commands for a customer and am running into the same issue. can you please post the exact code snippet that you used as a workaround to this issue?

Thanks,

Dan

abhit

Hi Dan:

I just edited the command and added a log statement after the parameters are defined.

You can probably try buy adding a commented line also.

Did a "Discover Parameters" again. The "PiplelineVaribale" went away.

I have not been able to reproduce it consistently though.

Regards

Abhi

dburklan

Are you on Server 2012 R2? I know it is not supported however your fix doesn't seem to work on my WFA lab server (which runs Server 2012 R2 with PoSH 4.0). The existence of the variable however doesn't cause any of my custom commands to fail so I will continue to ignore it.

Dan

abhit

I was not using Windows Server 2012R2 when I tried it out.

Regards

Abhi

Datageddon

I've started seeing this random pipelineVariable show up since patching from 3.0 to 3.0.0.0.1P1.  I'm seeing the behavior on new commands I'm creating in addition to imported or modifying existing commands that existed pre-upgrade.

Aside from the nuisance is there any downside here or potential problems with the existance of the variable?

sinhaa

@Aside from the nuisance is there any downside here or potential problems with the existance of the variable?

---

No downside as far as I know.

If you Upgrade to WFA3.1 you can remove this annoying pipeline variable from Parameters definition page.

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

paragp

This is being fixed in WFA 4.1.  If you want to get rid of that "Pipeline Variable" in your version of WFA you will have to make a small change on WFA server.

1. Open File <WFA_INSTALL_DIR>\PoSH\Modules\WFAWrapper\WFAWrapper.psm1    ( <WFA_INSTALL_DIR> by default is C:\Program Files\NetApp\WFA )
  2. Search for line    if ($param.aliases -match "vb|db|ea|wa|ev|wv|ov|ob|wi|cf") { continue }
  3. Change the above line to if ($param.aliases -match "vb|db|ea|wa|ev|wv|ov|ob|wi|cf|infa|iv|pv") { continue }

Parag

Public