Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Workflow to monitor used inodes and increase by some percent if it reaches the desired threshold

KISHOREG15

Hello Members,

I am looking for an option to monitor the inodes on volumes across all clusters and increase the count by 5% automatically, if the threshold hits 80% of inode utilization.

Would this option be possible with WFA? If so any help on acheiving this would be very useful. Thank You.

Regards,

Kishore

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

geringer

Kishore,

You would not use WFA to monitor the inodes.  You can use WFA to increase the inodes by 5%, and use OnCommand Unified Manager (OCUM) to monitor and alert on inode counts.  You can also use OCUM to run the WFA workflow with the run script option on the alerts.  Just put in the REST call to the WFA workflow.  I would suggest that you put a check in your WFA increase inodes command to ensure that you are only increasing inodes if the volume needs it.

Mike

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

geringer

Kishore,

You would not use WFA to monitor the inodes.  You can use WFA to increase the inodes by 5%, and use OnCommand Unified Manager (OCUM) to monitor and alert on inode counts.  You can also use OCUM to run the WFA workflow with the run script option on the alerts.  Just put in the REST call to the WFA workflow.  I would suggest that you put a check in your WFA increase inodes command to ensure that you are only increasing inodes if the volume needs it.

Mike

KISHOREG15

Hi Mike,

Thank you very much for the details.!!

With your suggestion, I have tried further to find a quick solution to handle this and found below article very interesting. 

http://www.netapp.com/us/media/tr-4585.pdf

Regards,

Kishore

geringer

I had not seen this technical report before.  This is excellent.  Thanks for bring this to my attention.  I would suggest that the target inode full percentage is well below the near full alert level, so that your workflow is not constantly running.  So if your threshold is 90%, whne you hit it you may want to increase inodes to achieve 80% or 70% full.

Mike

Public