Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

cDOT snapmirror monitoring

FULLSTEAM

I went poking around an 8.1 to 8.1 c-mode snapmirror I had set up, and ran:    snapmirror show -healthy false -fields newest-snapshot-timestamp

Here I saw I was running 8 days out of date.  DFM hadn't bothered to tell me.  Only found it by virtue of snap space filling up.  (root cause: mismatched vol sizes)

dfm's snapmirrorLagWarningThreshold option is 36 hours, but didn't generate an event or an alarm.  Where'd I go wrong?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

adaikkap

Hi,

UM/DFM  5.1/5.2 for cluster mode does not monitor, snapmirror/snapvault/compression/dedupe.

The UM 6.0 which is cMode only and about to be released soon will do all of this.

Regards

adai

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

adaikkap

Hi,

UM/DFM  5.1/5.2 for cluster mode does not monitor, snapmirror/snapvault/compression/dedupe.

The UM 6.0 which is cMode only and about to be released soon will do all of this.

Regards

adai

jharmon

Adai,

Thanks for confirming this. From my understanding, UM 6.0 does not include Performance Manager, so this prevents me from upgrading to it. My customer needs to monitor SnapMirror failures/lag today. Any ideas how to accomplish this with UM 5.2 and cDOT 8.1.3?

Thanks,

Jason

adaikkap

Hi Jason,

OCUM 5.2 does not do monitoring of SnapVault/Snapmirror or Storage Efficiency parameters. OCUM 6.0 which is available now does all of this.

Yes as you said, it doesnt have Performance Data.

Also point to note is there is no upgrade path from 5.x to 6.x though it looks like next releases.

OCUM 6.0 is a completely new, built grounds up.

Regards

adai

kryan

If you want to view SnapMirror relationship transfer history graphs in OCUM 6.0, then you must use Data ONTAP 8.2 or later. You must also convert any SnapMirror relationships that were created while using Data ONTAP 8.1.x to a Data ONTAP 8.2  style relationship.

SnapMirror relationships created using Data ONTAP 8.1.x are not supported in OCUM 6.0.

Kevin

jharmon

Thanks Kevin.

adaikkap

Kevin's comment applies only to history graph and not for monitoring or alerting. 

Kevin,

Correct me if I am wrong.

Regards

adai

kryan

Adai,

That is how I understand it as well.  Monitoring (and thus alerting) of of pre-8.2 Snapmirror relationships should work.

Only the history graphs will not work for pre-8.2.

Kevin

jharmon

THANK YOU BOTH! I will deploy it today.

Best,

Jason

adaikkap

If I understand correctly, that may be due to lack of API in pre 8.2 for fetching the Snapmirror history related details.

Regards

adai

jharmon

Thanks Adai. I read the following in the release notes of 6.0:

Because Unified Manager 6.0 is deployed only as a virtual instance on a separate server from Unified

Manager 5.x or DataFabric Manager 4.x, Unified Manager 6.0 can run concurrently with previous

Unified Manager and DataFabric Manager versions in cluster environments.

I will deploy 6.0 and use it along side 5.2  in order to get everything I need.

Thanks!

Jason

Public