Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

clustered Ontap: Create Vserver with cifs server options

ruediger

Hi all,

I have to create a Vserver for cifs.

I added the cifs server options in the field with the following syntax:

"Name='cifsserver',Domain='corp.sim.com',AdminUsername='administrator',AdminPassword='Netapp12'"

The Preview works fine, but when I try to execute on my simulated clustered ontap System, the Workflow comes with the following error message:

Failed to setup and configure Cifs service for vs3. Message: Der Befehl kann nicht verarbeitet werden, da mindestens ein verbindlicher Parameter fehlt:  Domain AdminUsername AdminPassword.

Does anyone knows the correct Syntax of the 4 Options (Name, Domain, AdminUsername and AdminPassword) I had to add in the Command "Create and configure CM Vserver"?

Thanks a lot and regards,

Ruediger

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

satishh

Hi Ruediger,

Please Can you try out some more times by creating different test Vservers.

Regards,

Satish.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

tanzim

Hi Ruediger,

The error message that you are seeing translates to "The command can not be processed because at least one mandatory parameter is missing".

Considering that you are using the "Create and configure CM Vserver" command, the mandatory parameters are :

• Cluster (ip address or fqdn)
  • RootVolumeAggregate
  • VserverName.

Have you provided values for these parameters?

Regards,

Tanzim

ruediger

Hello Tanzim,

Thanks for the answer.

Yes, of course, I provided all the necessary parameters.

The error Message (i have no idea, why the message is posted in German) says also, that one of the mandatory Parameters from the "cifs Server options" are missing.

But, i provided also all the Parameters:

- Name

- Domain Name

- adminuser

- adminpassword

Do you have an idea?

Thanks and best regards,

Ruediger

ruediger

Please see the attached screenshot.

That ist what I added in the Command "create and configure CM Vserver" in the cifs server option - Field.

With this information I get the Error-Message above.

satishh

Hi ruediger,

Please use the attached command  to create vserver with cifs configuration.

And Additionally specify CifsAllowed as "true" and DNS Domain names, DNS Server details.

Regards,

Satish.

ruediger

Hello Satish,

thanks for providing the Command.

How is the correct syntax for the "cifs server options"?

I added the following in the following syntax:

"name='vs3-cifs', domain='corp.sim.com', adminusername='administrator', adminpassword='Netapp12'"

cifs allowed: true

DNS Domain: 'corp.sim.com'

dns_servers: '172.16.55.138' (my local DNS Server)

And I get the following error-messages:

Failed to setup and configure Cifs service for vs3.

Do you have an idea?

Thanks!

satishh

Hi Ruediger,

dns_servers should contain domain IP.  Is '172.16.55.138' domain ip for domain 'corp.sim.com' ?

Regards,

Satish.

ruediger

Hi satish,

yes, the IP '172.16.55.138' is the DomainIP for 'corp.sim.com'.

Regards,

Ruediger

satishh

Hi Ruediger,

Please can you send the command logs.

Thanks,

Satish.

satishh

Hi Ruediger,,

Please use the following syntax. It worked for me with 'N' capital in "Name". Same applies to other parameters also.

"Name='vs3-cifs', Domain='corp.sim.com', AdminUsername='administrator', AdminPassword='Netapp12'"

Regards,

Satish.

ruediger

Hi Satish,

please see the command logs below:

15:46:33.433 INFO  [Create and configure CM Vserver - copy] ### Command 'Create and configure CM Vserver - copy' ###

15:46:34.385 INFO  [Create and configure CM Vserver - copy] Executing command: ./Create_and_configure_CM_Vserver_-_copy172221962041075559.ps1 -CifsAllowed $true -CifsServerOptions 'Name=''vs3-cifs'', Domain=''corp.sim.com'', AdminUsername=''administrator'', AdminPassword=''netApp089''' -Cluster 172.16.55.143 -DnsDomainNames @('corp.sim.com') -DnsServers @('172.16.55.138') -FcpAllowed $false -IscsiAllowed $false -NfsAllowed $true -RootVolumeAggregate aggr01 -SecurityStyle unix -ServiceSwitchName @('file') -VserverName vs3

15:46:34.432 INFO  [Create and configure CM Vserver - copy] Get-NaCredentials -Host 172.16.55.143

15:46:34.448 INFO  [Create and configure CM Vserver - copy] Credentials successfully provided for '172.16.55.143'

15:46:34.572 INFO  [Create and configure CM Vserver - copy] Connect-NcController (with credentials) -Name 172.16.55.143

15:46:35.680 INFO  [Create and configure CM Vserver - copy] Connected to cluster node

15:46:35.696 INFO  [Create and configure CM Vserver - copy] Creating a new Vserver - Name 'vs3' , Aggregate 'aggr01' on Root Volume 'vs3_root_vol'

15:46:47.320 INFO  [Create and configure CM Vserver - copy] Configuring DNS service with Domain Name 'corp.sim.com'

15:46:47.632 INFO  [Create and configure CM Vserver - copy] Configuring Vserver with Allowed protocols 'cifs nfs

15:46:48.053 INFO  [Create and configure CM Vserver - copy] Creating a new Cifs service with parameter options' -Name 'vs3-cifs' -Domain 'corp.sim.com' -AdminUsername 'administrator' -AdminPassword 'netApp089''

15:46:48.600 ERROR  [Create and configure CM Vserver - copy] Command failed for Workflow 'RP_create multiprotocol Vserver for cifs/nfs' with error : Failed to create CIFS server 'VS3-CIFS'. Reason: SecD Error: configuration not found

15:46:48.600 INFO  [Create and configure CM Vserver - copy] ***** Workflow Execution Failed *****

satishh

Hi Rudiger,

Please Can you recheck with Domain Controller Details. And also after executing the command please can you check whether DNS is configured properly for vserver.

This error is mainly because of DNS Issues.

I am able to create vserver with cifs and nfs configured successfully.

11:10:48.201 INFO  [Create and configure CM Vserver - copy] ### Command 'Create and configure CM Vserver - copy' ###

11:10:49.529 INFO  [Create and configure CM Vserver - copy] Executing command: ./Create_and_configure_CM_Vserver_-_copy8614715159842843596.ps1 -DnsDomainNames @('qatlveng.local') -RootVolumeAggregate Test_aggregate -ServiceSwitchName @('file') -NfsAllowed $true -DnsServers @('10.68.128.81') -Cluster wfa-cluster -SecurityStyle unix -CifsAllowed $true -VserverName vs13 -IscsiAllowed $false -CifsServerOptions 'Name=cifsvs-13,Domain=qatlveng.local,AdminUsername=administrator,AdminPassword=Wfa123' -FcpAllowed $false

11:10:49.592 INFO  [Create and configure CM Vserver - copy] Get-NaCredentials -Host wfa-cluster

11:10:49.623 INFO  [Create and configure CM Vserver - copy] Credentials successfully provided for 'wfa-cluster'

11:10:49.670 INFO  [Create and configure CM Vserver - copy] Connect-NcController (with credentials) -Name wfa-cluster

11:10:53.451 INFO  [Create and configure CM Vserver - copy] Connected to cluster node

11:10:53.529 INFO  [Create and configure CM Vserver - copy] Creating a new Vserver - Name 'vs13' , Aggregate 'Test_aggregate' on Root Volume 'vs13_root_vol'

11:11:14.888 INFO  [Create and configure CM Vserver - copy] Configuring DNS service with Domain Name 'qatlveng.local'

11:11:15.888 INFO  [Create and configure CM Vserver - copy] Configuring Vserver with Allowed protocols 'cifs nfs

11:11:17.576 INFO  [Create and configure CM Vserver - copy] Creating a new Cifs service with parameter options' -Name cifsvs-13 -Domain qatlveng.local -AdminUsername administrator -AdminPassword Wfa123'

11:11:25.779 INFO  [Create and configure CM Vserver - copy] Command completed, took 37578 milliseconds

Regards,

Satish.

satishh

Hi Ruediger,

The issue you are facing is not from WFA side. The issue seen in your configuration might be because of following reasons.

1. Domain controller and Ontap clocks are not in sync.

2. There might be simultaneous cifs operations happening on ontap.

please check and Let us know.

Regards,

Satish.

ruediger

Hi Satish,

I checked all the configuration again:

1. the clocks between DC and on tap are in sync

2. simultaneous cifs operations cannot happen, because this is my own virtual envirnonment. No one else is having access to my environment.

3. Please see the attached screenshots.

4. After I execute the workflow, I get the attached error-message.

5. After I tried to create the vserver vs3, it failed after creating and adding the DNS-Server to the vserver. (Please see the screenshot)

6. It failed during the joining of the vserver in to the DC.

Regards,

Ruediger

satishh

Hi Ruediger,

Please Can you try the below steps.

1. Execute the workflow and let it fail with error "SecD Error: Configuration not found".

2. Go to Ontap and try to create cifs service by using following ontap CLI,

satishh-vsim1-d1::> cifs server create -vserver satish_vs3 -cifs-server cifs-vs3 -domain qatlveng.local

In order to create an Active Directory machine account for the CIFS server, you must supply the name and password of a Windows account with sufficient

privileges to add computers to the "CN=Computers" container within the "qatlveng.local" domain.

Enter the user name: Administrator

Enter the password:

3. If the step 2 is successful, Then Execute the workflow to create another  cifs/nfs Vserver.

When i tried with another ontap, even i faced the same issue. But i followed the above steps, it worked for me.

The cause for the error "Secd Error : Configuration not found"  is ontap is waiting for reply from domain controller, which is not received in certain time.

Alternatively,

Please execute the workflow creating cifs/nfs Vservers multiple times, It will start succeeding.

Please try out the above steps and let me know if it works.

Regards,

Satish.

ruediger

Hi Satish,

thanks for the quick answers! I really appreciate!!!

Yes, I can manually join the vserver in to the domain.

With the powershell cmdlet and on the ssh-console.

I tried several times the workflow, but it fails all the time.

What Ontap-Version are you using?

I use: NetApp Release 8.1.2 Cluster-Mode

Regards,

Ruediger

satishh

Hi Ruediger,

I tested with multiple configurations of Ontap 8.1.1. Initially it fails with that error. but later on it succeeds.

but i dont think Ontap versions should matter here.  Please can you try with attached command. I have done minor changes to cmdlet.

Regards,

Satish.

ruediger

HI Satish,

sorry, now I get the following message, after trying several times with the new command.

Failed to setup and configure Cifs service for v5. Message: Failed to create CIFS server 'VS4-CIFS'. Reason: spinclient command timed out

Best regards,

Ruediger

satishh

Hi Ruediger,

Please Can you try out some more times by creating different test Vservers.

Regards,

Satish.

Public