Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

ebay listings - Transfer Lic/warranty ?

aneilsingh

I see ebay listings for Netapp equipment with large range of pricing.

Some of the items being sold are indicating "Guaranteed 1 Time  Transferable Licenses NFS, CIFS, CLUSTER, ISCSI,  DSANIT, SNAP MIRROR, SNAP MIRROR, SV-ontap-PRI, MULTISTORE licenses.   Licenses will be transferred to buyer at NO additional cost by  Network Appliance, Inc"

Can someone actually buy/sell a Netapp on ebay and still be able to use the Licensing/Warranty it was shipped with?

Really I don't see why not, these items transfer with expensive cars as someone else has pointed out.

Thanks for your assistance and knowledge.

10 REPLIES 10

pascalduk

I am pretty sure licenses, at least in the past, are not transferrable. Standard hardware warranty should not be a problem as local laws will enforce that for you.

amiller_1

Not transferable generally speaking....the main thing you'd want to check on I believe would be to get the seller to give you an assurance from NetApp (as after the sale you'll be dealing with NetApp for support/updates and the seller could be long gone).

johnwagner

I was told by several reps from netapp that the licenses for software are tied to the device.

So is netapp now saying, "well no they are tied to the user.." 

Someone from netapp please clarify this because it looks like I'm not the only one that really would like to know what the truth is..

waiting patiently..

John

scottgelb

Someone from NetApp will surely clarify...but my understanding after several years as a netapp partner is that software Licenses are tied to the serial number and are non-transferrable.  If a system is sold from one company to another, the new company needs to buy the licenses.  One exception we have seen is when a company is acquired, then NetApp has transferred the licenses to the new parent company.

One exception I saw...a customer bought a used system that came off lease from a used vendor.  I think it was on a NetApp lease with a one time transfer allowed to the company that received the asset at the end of lease... there has been some discussion where off lease systems don't have a transferrable licenses, but the used vendor did show us the letter when the challenge came up and the letter had the serial number of the system and the licenses on NetApp letterhead with a signature.  I don't know if this still occurs or how many systems were given the one time transfer or if any of it was real....but would be good to get official word on this.

aborzenkov
my understanding ... is that software Licenses are tied to the serial number and are non-transferrable.  If a system is sold from one company to another, the new company needs to buy the licenses.

These two statements contradict each other. If license is tied to serial number, then moving serial number (to another company) will automatically move license. Actually this is exactly what happens when you transfer ownership on NOW.

The question is of course whether company (not being NetApp reseller) can legally sell NetApp equipment ... this starts with the question - to use NetApp support new owner company must be registered on NOW as a customer; I do not think third-party seller on ebay is able to do it

scottgelb

To clarify... a license is tied to the serial number, so a company can NOT move the license between systems.  Separately from the license being tied to the serial number, if the company sells the system then the license is no longer valid and needs to be purchased new for the used hardware.... with possible one-off exceptions but no word from NetApp in this thread yet.

aborzenkov

if the company sells the system then the license is no longer valid

Do you have any pointers to NetApp documentation to illustrate it?

scottgelb

When you view your licenses on the now site http://now.netapp.com/eservice/agree.do?moduleName=PROTOCOL , you get the end user license agreement (pasted below on transfer of license is not allowed except with prior written approval).

"7.  TRANSFERABILITY OF LICENSE

THIS LICENSE IS PERSONAL TO CUSTOMER.   CUSTOMER SHALL NOT ASSIGN, SUBLICENSE OR TRANSFER THE LICENSE OR THE  AGREEMENT WITHOUT NETAPP'S PRIOR WRITTEN APPROVAL; ANY ATTEMPT TO DO SO  SHALL BE VOID."

philipl

Hello everyone,

This is a very common question that I get asked;  "Will NetApp certify and support equipment that was purchased off the grey market?"

Regarding NetApp hardware and software not purchased from NetApp, an authorized NetApp reseller or an authorized lease financing partner or other remarketing agent of NetApp Financial Solutions, our position is that NetApp has no obligation to, and will not, either support such Hardware or Software or certify the same to enable such support, except in specific circumstances where NetApp has previously agreed in writing to provide such support, or as otherwise required by local law.

It is entirely possible that equipment listed in the original post falls under one of these scenarios.  However, in order to provide support or allow the transfer of software licenses, the customer must provide a NetApp Certification Letter on NetApp letterhead which is signed by an authorized NetApp employee.

Hope this helps.

dougocrep

The answer is Yes....

There are a very limited amount of these products available, and, there is only a very limited few authorized to do so.

(i would not trust all eBay listing,some companies are trying to get your attention, don't have the ability,the relationship, nor do they actually own the inventory)<---this is the differentiator!!

My company, working with Netapp and partner, provide this option.<--not trying to sell you, but i deal with this daily

Basically, older filers, (FAS250,270,900series, and 3000series) are made availabe with "pre-determined" licenses.

Some only available with Protocols; iSCSI, Cifs, NFS,

Some are available with Software functions: SnapMirror,Restore, Mover, SV, SQL, E2K3,NearStore, MultiStore, FCP, CLuster, DSanIT, FlexCone,A-SIS.

The License IS associated to the Filer Serial Number and, if Transferable, will be put into the Cusotmers existing  Now account, or I provide you with the KEYs for that SW/function.

*Documentation: as mentioned above, is provided on NetApp Letterhead, by Authorized NetApp Representative that details the licenses and guarantees Licenses are transferable.

If you have any other questions, feel free to contact me.

Public