Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

netapp-harvest Missing dashboard graphs

bob_lansley

I finally got harvest/graphite/grafana mostly working late last night thanks to importing the updated dashboard files from  http://blog.pkiwi.com/grafana-2-5-support-with-netapp-harvest/

I say mostly because some of the graphs still aren't reporting anything even though I see metrics in graphite. In particular the dashboards associated with Disk and Cache Layers, Network LIF & Port and Volume.

Data for other elements in the Cluster, Node and SVM dashboards are mostly coming through nicely.

I followed the Quick Start: Installing Graphite & Grafana and NetApp Harvest Installation and Administration Guide 1.2.2 pretty much to the letter for a RHEL6u6 server. The only issues I found (apart from the dashboard problems) were a conflict with apache already configured to use port 443 in /etc/httpd/conf.d/ssl.conf (changed in ssl.conf to 444) and a reference to grafana_url using port 3000 (changed to use 443) in the Harvest installation.

What else can I provide to help diagnose this probably minor problem. It's a great set of tools so I hope to be avle to use them to their fullest potential.

Cheers,

Bob

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

madden

Hi @bob_lansley,

The issue occurs on any dashboard that uses multi-pick templates that cascade.  Basically the child drop down template items don't populate correctly, and since all the graphs use the template value to fetch the panel graphs they don't work either.

I have found that by toggling from one option to another and then back it will cause the child to refresh.  Then go to the child and again pick an option, and then another, and it's child will refresh.  And so on for as many cascades as there are.  Once you have something loaded that is correct click save dashboard.  Next time it will then load these template values and you will probably have fewer toggle steps to view something else.  Also, if you use the 'related dashboards' picklist on the right side to navigate between dashboards it tries to pre-populate the template values.  So this also helps avoid the issue.  For example if you start at Cluster dashboard, then pick a site and cluster and use 'Related Dashboards' to go to the Node dashboard, you pick your node, and then use "related dashboards" to go to the port dashboards, I think it will load correctly the first time.

Regarding a fix this is in the hands of the Grafana project to determine.  I logged the isssue and they confirmed it's a regression and targetted for 3.1 (the next release) so hopefully someone will pick it up and deliver a fix.  Alternately, you could use Grafana 2.6 which did not have this issue.

Cheers,
Chris Madden

Storage Architect, NetApp EMEA (and author of Harvest)

Blog: It all begins with data

If this post resolved your issue, please help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO or both!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

madden

Hi @bob_lansley

Are you by chance using Grafana 3.x?  It has a bug Issue #4861 which impacts a few dashboards.  I have a note in there (step 5) about how to get the dashboard to load correctly, maybe you can try that?

For the Grafana/Graphite quick start guide and RH6u6 I will check this.  The guide needs to be updated to include the most recent releases of OS, Graphite, and Grafana.  I also plan update and make the Apache config a little different to run SSL here.  At the Apache website root we would then configure a reverse proxy with Grafana running on the default port 3000, and at /graphite would be the Graphite web service.  In this way for clients all communication is over HTTPS and subsequent updates of Grafana won't require any commands to allow that webserver to use a privileged port.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Chris Madden

If this post resolved your issue, please help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO or both!

bob_lansley

Hi Chris, thanks for taking the time to respond.

Yep ... I pulled down grafana only this week and recieved version 3.0.2

I'm not sure I follow your step 5 instructions though.

If I open NetApp Detail: Network Port  what action do I need to take to get the data visible for those metrics?

Alternatively do you have a timescale for a bugfix release or a last known good RPM version that I can downrev to please?

Cheers,

Bob

madden

Hi @bob_lansley,

The issue occurs on any dashboard that uses multi-pick templates that cascade.  Basically the child drop down template items don't populate correctly, and since all the graphs use the template value to fetch the panel graphs they don't work either.

I have found that by toggling from one option to another and then back it will cause the child to refresh.  Then go to the child and again pick an option, and then another, and it's child will refresh.  And so on for as many cascades as there are.  Once you have something loaded that is correct click save dashboard.  Next time it will then load these template values and you will probably have fewer toggle steps to view something else.  Also, if you use the 'related dashboards' picklist on the right side to navigate between dashboards it tries to pre-populate the template values.  So this also helps avoid the issue.  For example if you start at Cluster dashboard, then pick a site and cluster and use 'Related Dashboards' to go to the Node dashboard, you pick your node, and then use "related dashboards" to go to the port dashboards, I think it will load correctly the first time.

Regarding a fix this is in the hands of the Grafana project to determine.  I logged the isssue and they confirmed it's a regression and targetted for 3.1 (the next release) so hopefully someone will pick it up and deliver a fix.  Alternately, you could use Grafana 2.6 which did not have this issue.

Cheers,
Chris Madden

bob_lansley

Hi Chris

I down-revved to 2.6.0 and everything now works.

Thanks for your guidance. Keep up the good work on this great utility!

Cheers,

Bob

stobias123

Is downgrading grafana still the only solution here? I'm getting the same error - grafana is on v4 now.

EDIT: Fixed. Turns out my data source method needed to be "proxy" not "direct"

Public