Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

protection manager and migrating data to new disk shelves

keithscott

Have 3 filers, 1, 2 and 3.  Filer 1 hold the primary data, filer 2 is for backup and filer 3 is the mirror to 2 for disaster recovery.  Data is backed up using Protection Manager.

So got new shelves for filer 1.  Need to migrate the data off of the old disk shelves to the new disk shelves.  Both sets of shelves are attached to filer 1. If I vol copy the data to the new shelves PM stays pointed at the old data.  If I try to point to the new data it wants to rebaseline.  Don't want to do this.

How do I copy the data to the new shelves and get Prot Mgr to reassign to the new data location on the new shelves without having to rebaseline and losing all my previous backups?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

adaikkap

Hi

We have a feature in DFM 4.0 called Secondary Space Management, which migrates individual volume, which are part of dataset.

The rule or conditions that needs to be met for a volume to be migrate capable is the following.SSM doesn't migrate the following.

1. Root Volume of a filer or vfiler is not migration capable.
  2. Volumes with client facing protocols like CIFS, NFS, iSCSI,FCP.
  3. Volume which are parents of flexclones.
  4. Volume which have unmanaged relationships.

I think, just item 2 applies to you.If you remove the client facing protocols you will be able to migrate using SSM, but during the entire duration of initial baseline from old primary to new primary.

After the inital baseline SSM will modify the relationship by that we you dont have to rebaseline the downstream relationship and also wont loose any already registered backup.

Regards

adai

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

sinhaa

Some more informtion is needed here to provide you with a feasible solution.

1. What is the ONTAP version on your filers?

2. What is your dfm version?

warm regards,
Abhishek

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

keithscott

ONTAP version is 7.3.3

DFM version is 3.7

sinhaa

Hello Keith,

DFM version 3.7 is too old to support anything what you need. If you Upgrade to DFM 4.0.1and have Provisioning Manager Licensed then this must be possible.

As far as I know about migration of volumes and protection relationships in DFM,

4.0.1 for ONTAP 8.0.1: NDVM( non disruptive volume migration) from one aggr to another within the same filer also migrating all the protection relationships. This will  exactly be what you need. But this requires you to upgrade both your ONTAP and DFM.

4.0.1 for ONTAP 7.3.3 : Little cumbersome, but it should be possible using some "round-trip" to move your primary volumes keeping the protection relationships intact to new aggrs ( created on the new disks on filer 1). For this your primary volumes must be on a vfiler. If they are not still it should be possible with some more work, but this migration process will be disruptive i.e. till the whole 'round-trip' completes your primary data will not be accessible.

For now, i can' t think of anything else using DFM that can help you.

Others,

please share if you have any better  ideas or correct me if I'm wrong anyhwhere.

warm regards,

Abhishek

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

tanmoy

NDVM is for volumes which has LUNs and if the volumes which Keith is talking

about have FCP settings then the solution with vfiler will not work.

NDVM is not supported for NAS volumes, although there is workaround for NFS

volumes; it¹s not supported for CIFS.

Keith, it will be helpful if you can tell the environment more in detail;

iSCSI/FCP/NFS/CIFS etc.

Caveats :

1. If you use NDVM, then any backup/mirror update during final cutover might

fail and you might need to restart the update once the cutover is done.

Thanks

Tanmoy

keithscott

The volumes in question are CIF shares that are iSCSI attached.  No NFS running in system.  Reading through the posts the best plan is to upgrade to DFM 4.0.  At this time we are unable to upgrade to ONTAP 8.0.  Incremental upgrade to 7.4 may be possible.

adaikkap

Hi

We have a feature in DFM 4.0 called Secondary Space Management, which migrates individual volume, which are part of dataset.

The rule or conditions that needs to be met for a volume to be migrate capable is the following.SSM doesn't migrate the following.

I think, just item 2 applies to you.If you remove the client facing protocols you will be able to migrate using SSM, but during the entire duration of initial baseline from old primary to new primary.

After the inital baseline SSM will modify the relationship by that we you dont have to rebaseline the downstream relationship and also wont loose any already registered backup.

Regards

adai

keithscott

Well we've upgrade DFM to 4.0 and opened a case with tech support.  Seems like our only catch right now is the volumes host CIF shares.  So if I read your post right all we need to do is remove the shares during the migration and then we can put them back after.  Which works since we will be doing the transfers during maintenance window.

Thanks for all the help everyone's given.

adaikkap

Yes. You will have to remove the shares, run dfm host discover and then try the migrate. Pls note share will not be created by SSM, you will have to manually recreate it.

Pls upgrade to 4.0.1

Regards

adai

keithscott

Sorry, meant that we had upgraded to 4.0.1

abuchmann

hi adai

i also tried to use secondary space management, but i always says "no qualified destination aggregate found".

Tried to find the reason with your list, but no success:

Check
    Check
    Check
    Check

Is there a way to find the real reason?

Kind regards,

Adrian

adaikkap

Do you have a Resource pool with Aggr in them added to the secondary of the dataset.

Make sure you add the aggr where you are planning to move.

All use the cli dfpm migrate volume to get more detail message if you hit any issues.

regards

adai

abuchmann

hi adai

you are totally right. the aggregate was in a different ressource pool (totally misconfigured...).

I changed that now an it works like a charm.

thank you very much.

kind regards,

adrian

jayanthi

It could be that, there is no atleast one aggregate with enough space to accomodate all of the volumes that are being migrated.

Try to migrate a subset of volumes at a time.

Public