Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

up to date virtual machine list in OnCommand

keeshuizer

We are currently looking at using OnCommand to backup our VMware environment, which seems to work more or less.

One thing i'm wondering about is, when i create a new VM in the vSphere client, shouldn't it also become visible (automatically) in the Virtual Machine list within OnCommand?

When i do a rediscover of the host service the VM will be visible in the list, but shouldn't this happen automatically? Or do i need to schedule a period rediscovery?

7 REPLIES 7

kjag

Hi,

Yes, the newly created VM will be automatically updated in the OnCommand. But it takes little time(with in few mins) as the OnCommand Host Software(Installed in VMWare ) will buffer the requests from the vsphere client and then send it to OnCommand.

You no need to schedule a periodic rediscovery.

-KJag

keeshuizer

Thats what i thought, but i created a new VM about 30 minutes ago, and i still don't see them in OnCommand, even if i wait all night they still don't show up. Only when i do a rediscovery the appear in OnCommand

kjag

ok. Is your DFM is configured in the Host Service?

Can u run "dfm hs diag <HS IP Address>" and check the dfm ip is shown properly.

-KJag

keeshuizer

Everything looks OK to me..

dfm hs diag 10.15.4.78

Network Connectivity

IP Address                    10.15.4.78

FQDN                          AP-GDA86-NOC.its.centric.lan

Admin Port                    8699

HTTPS                         Passed (47 ms)

Plugin Reachable              Yes

DataFabric Manager server configuration

Port                          8488

IP Address/DNS                ap-gda86-noc.its.centric.lan

DFM Reachable                 Yes

Acording to:                  DataFabric Manager server              Host Service

Management Port               8799                                   8799

Host Service version          1.1.0.1512                             1.1.0.1512

Plugin Information

Plugin version                1.1.0.0                                1.1.0.0

Plugin Type                   OnCommand Host Service VMware Plug-in  OnCommand Host Service VMware Plug-in

kjag

ok. Can u try setting the below option and check the "audit.log" shows "host-service-discover" events.

dfm option set serverAPILogExclude=dfm-about

Note: Modifying the above option will start showing the "host-service-discover" events in the audit.log and you can change this option to exclude the same at any point of time.

-KJag

keeshuizer

Hrmm, i waited around 20 minutes after changing the option, but i don't see a host-service-discover event in the audit log

keeshuizer

I have just rebooted the OnCommand server and I am now seeing the host-service-discover entries in the audit log.

I also just deployed a new VM and it has been (automatically) picked up by OnCommand now..

As far as i know i haven't changed any settings, so its unclear to me why it started functioning all of a sudden.

Public