Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

vfiler migration error, disk type is ''. This disk type is not supported for Automated Online Migration.

fletch2007

have not seen this error before - I'm beginning to think my DFM database needs to be cleared (disk type '' ?) -

I tried dfm host discover to refresh, but got the same error

Conformance Results

=== SEVERITY ===

Error:    Source volume 'vdi-vf-01:/vdivms'(5674) disk type is ''. This disk type is not supported for Automated Online Migration. Please try offline migration.

=== REASON ===

Migration not supported (Error 23509)

=== SUGGESTION ===

No suggested corrective action is available.

Anyone seen a solution for this?

I have other DFM database issues (with a case open) - can I simply clear the database and start fresh ?

thanks

4 REPLIES 4

adaikkap

Hi Fletch,

What version of OCUM are you running ? Also what is the version platform and disk type of the vfiler being migrated ?

Regards

adai

fletch2007

Hi Adai,

Online migration attempt of 8.1.2 3270 vfiler to 8.1 3270 (maybe that was the issue 8.1.2->8.1)?

SAS->FCAL

Since this was a non-critical vfiler I bypassed the error by choosing offline migration and it proceeded.

Also today in consultation with Netapp support, I off-lined services on our 5 year old DFM Server and instantiated a fresh instance to get rid of the 5 years of accumulated detritus - vfiler migrations are proceeding much better now.

I'd still like to know the origin of this "disk type '' " error

thanks

adaikkap

Hi Fletch,

You could use the dfmpurge tool to clean all the detritus. Here is the link to the same.

https://communities.netapp.com/videos/3134

Utility Toolchest.

link

Regards

adai

fletch2007

Much appreciated for those links/tools

In related vfiler migration news, is there an online method to migrate 32bit aggr vfilers to 64 bit aggr destinations?

This restriction is very constraining for us and essentially requires downtime to migrate off 32 bit aggregates, which defeats the benefits of online datamotion.

thanks!

Public