Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

vif vlan ipspace question

CHANDLERBING02

i have a second level vif comprised of 2x10G and 2x1 Gb interfaces as standby called VIF-NAS.  The interface is trunked so there are a couple of VLANs, VIF-NAS-30, VIF-NAS-31, etc.  IPspaces are assigned to each interface. Running 8.0.3 and can't seem to be able to add another VLAN from system manager.  Getting error "No interfaces are available to create VLAN interface" so it looks like need to disable VIF-NAS in order to be able to add another VLAN.  I mirrored the same configuration on a netapp simulator but running 8.1 and it let me add additional VLANs.  So curious if it's because of 8.1 or something else?  I don't have another physical filer to test on. 

Second question is what is the process of removing vfilers and ipspaces and reassigning all volumes back to vfiler0.  I tested on netappsim and stop vfiler, reassign interfaces to default ipspace and destroy vfiler. It seems to work but can anybody verify on physical filer? 

8 REPLIES 8

scottgelb

The same in the vsim. When you destroy a vFiler the volumes go back to vfiler0. For interfaces ifconfig them 0.0.0.0 down.

For networking I recommend command line. Then also edit rc and hosts. There are some fixed bugs in system manager for networking but still don't trust it on networking. Cli always works and simple to vlan create, Ipspace assign then carefully edit the same commands in rc

CHANDLERBING02

Hi Scott, is it ok to reassign a VIF (VIF-11) back to the default ipspace?  I have a couple of VLANs running on a second level VIF.    I'm a little nervous doing this on a production filer. 

scottgelb

As long as no ip is configured you can Ipspace assign back to default

Sent from my iPhone 4S

scottgelb

Use the cli for Ipspace assign.

AGUMADAVALLI

Hi there:

Please don't use the system manager for performing the rc file and vfiler modifications. There is Bug in system manager which screw up your vfiler configuration and rc file. Please use the command line.

The recent news from Netapp:

storage system data inaccessibility issues with NetApp® OnCommand® System Manager.

• vFiler® configuration changes made on Data ONTAP® operating in 7-Mode may unintentionally change files in the /etc directory of the vFiler unit.
  • CIFS changes made using the CIFS Setup Wizard from within OnCommand System Manager on systems running Data ONTAP 8.x operating in 7-Mode unintentionally result in the removal of existing user-created CIFS share definitions.

NetApp recommends that customers discontinue using OnCommand System Manager immediately to: 

• Edit vFiler configurations
  • Use the CIFS Setup Wizard for reconfiguring CIFS

Thank you,

AK G

AGUMADAVALLI

Bug details are found:

Bugs online information (from the NetApp Support site):
BUG ID: 579444
BUG ID: 603031
BUG ID: 623471

Thank you,

AK G

CHANDLERBING02

Thanks for the warning.  I'm currently using the old Netapp system manager 1.1.  Does the bugs affect this version as well or just the newer oncommand?

AGUMADAVALLI

The above mentioned bug for all the recent versions of Systems manager. It is better to be on command line please.

thank you,

AK G

Public