Simulator Discussions

How can I convert a single-node cluster to an HA pair cluster?

jiangong

Hi, all

I configured a single-node cluster simulator the other day, but now I want to convert it to an HA pair cluster by joining another node, could someone tell me how?

I have searched some documents, but could not find related doc.

And if it is supported with physical nodes?

6 REPLIES 6

venkat3

Hi JianGong Dai,

HA is not supported in simulators

>And if it is supported with physical nodes?

HA is supported on physical nodes

please see the documentation here -- http://support.netapp.com/knowledge/docs/simulate_ontap/Simulate_ONTAP_8.2_Installation_and_Setup_Guide.pdf

check page 6

-Srinivas

jiangong

Hi, Venkat

Thank you for your response.

I know simulator doesn't support HA features, but my point is that how can I convert a single-node cluster to be part of an HA pair cluster with physical node?

Is there any documentation covering this?

I searched the KB, but could not find something related.

venkat3

Hi JianGong Dai,

>how can I convert a single-node cluster to be part of an HA pair cluster with physical node?

>Is there any documentation covering this?

>I searched the KB, but could not find something related.

i am curious to know the usecase here.

>can I convert a single-node cluster to be part of an HA pair cluster with physical node?

This is not supported either.(actually not possible to do )

In a HA pair need to see the disk-shelf of there partners

For example. say i have a physical HA pairs A and B.Each of these nodes when part of HA can view partner disks (they are cabled such that)

In an event of failure of controller A the partner B takeover all the disks of partner A

Since in a simulator (simulated ontap) we don't have an ability to achieve this . i say this is not supported

so you cannot pair a vsim with physical node to create an HA

-Srinivas

jiangong

Hi, Venkat

Many thanks in advance for your comments.

I am sorry I didn't make myself understood correctly, but I certainly know we cannot pair a vsim with a physical node to create an HA.

Now let me make it clearly: assume that I got a FAS2240A, and I use one controller to create a single-node cluster, and just leave the other controller not configured(but with 8.2 cDOT image installed). Now I want to convert the single-node cluster to pair the unused controller to create an HA pair cluster. what is the specific conversion processes?

Thank you.

venkat3

Hi JianGong Dai,

I guess you incorrectly posted it to SIMULATOR page. But thats ok.

This question is more on the physical ontap front.

Aah i read the subject line -- which clearly states your point.

well i will try and answer this one.(though i may be incorrect -- request you to check and post a similar query on ontap community page)

also i would try and find an answer myself because this looks like an interesting scenario too

my answer:

If you buy two physical nodes i would ideally configure both (will not try to have a single node)

Since you have tried to create a single node cluster only . I would ideally bring up the second node with same ontap version

I will have to connect the disk shelf appropriately for HA (as mentioned in my above post)

I would need an interconnect cable running between these clusters nodes

i will make the second node up and join the first node (making it a 2 node cluster)

after this on for HA i will have to enable storage failover on each nodes

storage failover modify -node nodeA -enabled true

storage failover modify -node nodeB -enabled true.

storage failover show (would show me both nodes connected)

-Srinivas

jiangong

Hi, Venkat

I got what I want to know, thank you so much for your input.

Actually it was a simulator(8.2 cDOT) environment, and I use one vsim to create a single-node cluster, and I want to convert this single-node cluster to a two node cluster by adding another vsim, I just didn't know how to do this.

Now I got it, thanks again.

Regards!

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public