Simulator Discussions

ONTAP 9.3 Simulator Booting up Issue

ndminus

Hi,

I have a vSIM 9.3 setup and running on my test lab, recent check I found there is some issue with it as the screenshot as attached. This is actually the 2nd time it had happened. Not sure if this could be fixed instead of rebuilding them.

So its actually running on VMware ESXi 6.5. 

Thanksvsim.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SeanHatfield

From what I see in the screenshot, you are using 9GB simulated disks.  If the SIM has been in use for a while, you may have filled the virtual disk that the simulated disks are stored on. 

You can check this by stopping it at the boot menu, entering the systemshell, and running df to see the available space on the /sim filesystem

Please choose one of the following:

(1) Normal Boot.
(2) Boot without /etc/rc.
(3) Change password.
(4) Clean configuration and initialize all disks.
(5) Maintenance mode boot.
(6) Update flash from backup config.
(7) Install new software first.
(8) Reboot node.
(9) Configure Advanced Drive Partitioning.
Selection (1-9)? systemshell
Forking /bin/sh 
pid: 2441
# df -h
Filesystem       Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/md0.uzip    998M    844M    153M    85%    /
/dev/ad0s2       1.9G    840M    1.0G    44%    /cfcard
devfs            1.0K    1.0K      0B   100%    /dev
/dev/md1.uzip    144M    143M    1.2M    99%    /platform
/dev/md2          31M     60K     28M     0%    /tmp
/dev/ad3         223G    4.5G    201G     2%    /sim
/dev/ad1s1       4.8M    1.1M    3.3M    26%    /var
procfs           4.0K    4.0K      0B   100%    /proc

If your /sim file system is filling up, the default size of the IDE1:1 disk is too small for your simulated disk layout.  You can either provision fewer or smaller simulated disks, or you can replace IDE1:1 with a larger disk before the very first power on of a new simulator.

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

gaurav_verma

Can you please increase the virtual machine RAM to 5.1GB if running single node otherwise 5.1GB multiply number of nodes. 

ndminus

there RAM is already assigned at 5.1GB, I had increased it to 8GB but still failed to boot up.

SeanHatfield

From what I see in the screenshot, you are using 9GB simulated disks.  If the SIM has been in use for a while, you may have filled the virtual disk that the simulated disks are stored on. 

You can check this by stopping it at the boot menu, entering the systemshell, and running df to see the available space on the /sim filesystem

Please choose one of the following:

(1) Normal Boot.
(2) Boot without /etc/rc.
(3) Change password.
(4) Clean configuration and initialize all disks.
(5) Maintenance mode boot.
(6) Update flash from backup config.
(7) Install new software first.
(8) Reboot node.
(9) Configure Advanced Drive Partitioning.
Selection (1-9)? systemshell
Forking /bin/sh 
pid: 2441
# df -h
Filesystem       Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/md0.uzip    998M    844M    153M    85%    /
/dev/ad0s2       1.9G    840M    1.0G    44%    /cfcard
devfs            1.0K    1.0K      0B   100%    /dev
/dev/md1.uzip    144M    143M    1.2M    99%    /platform
/dev/md2          31M     60K     28M     0%    /tmp
/dev/ad3         223G    4.5G    201G     2%    /sim
/dev/ad1s1       4.8M    1.1M    3.3M    26%    /var
procfs           4.0K    4.0K      0B   100%    /proc

If your /sim file system is filling up, the default size of the IDE1:1 disk is too small for your simulated disk layout.  You can either provision fewer or smaller simulated disks, or you can replace IDE1:1 with a larger disk before the very first power on of a new simulator.

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

ndminus

Yes, Im guessing the disk is full too based on the error messages i managed to catch earlier during boot.

I have already increase the disk previously during my initial deployment. Correct me if I'm wrong, vsim only supports up to maximum for 550GB right?

SeanHatfield

The raw sim disk file size could be as much as 9.9GB, depending on the disk type, for up to 56 disks.  I round up to 600GB just to leave some buffer.  There are a few other odds and ends on the /sim partition, along with its file system overhead.

Public