Simulator Discussions

Re: Root volume is damaged

I thought i'd be lucky like you when i read the last remedy with the 'unsetenv' commad. but, my vSIMs still coming back with the same errors - Recovery Required! 

I wonder if there's additional flag(s) that can fix the corrupted vol0? 

I had those sims and windows DC install on vmware workstation and apparently microsoft decided to apply some Win patches and rebooted the machine. this caused the sims to boot up in unstable state as you described. prior to that,  I already took care of both Vol0 sizes (53% avail) and this with the 'unsetenv' command did not help getting my CDot8.3.2 Sims back on full function as i had them running yesterday.  

In your case the file system is actually damaged.

Recovering from that is more involved.  If any one node has a good root vol you may be able to reseed the failed nodes, but if they are all damaged you may need to restore the the last good system configuration backup.

This can happen during a dirty shutdown because by default the simulated nvram operates in a non-persistent mode.  If you have them running on SSD you could change that, but if they are on HDD the performance impact could be significant.

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

yep, no backup, no snapshots taken. I already created a new pair and I make sure to suspend them next time I walk away...

thanks for confirming the cause.

I also have to use this occasionally (after lab power failures). In my case (single node cluster vsims) it seems to take 10 to 20 minutes for the full recovery to take place after the system boots. I'm wondering if there is anything one can look at (a log file, a show command, etc) that gives a clue as to RDB rebuild progress. I just do 'network interface show' commands until I see all the LIFs show up again).

SOLVED!!! Had Single node cluster (vsim 9.0) running on VMware Worstation 11.

interupted normal boot into Vloader and ran the cmd "unsetenv bootarg.init.boot_recovery

Rebooted and problem solved. Cluster now healthy. Cheers.

hi this is jai, my root volume is damaged,i cant able to recovery it from the error,i used = "unsetenv bootarg.init.boot_recovery" ,bt this command not working , am getting the same problem again and again.

Thanks in advance.

Then you likely need to make some free space first.

Start by deleting aggregate snapshots and vol0 snapshots if any are present, then try it again.

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

Thank you so much Mr.hat, i got solution

Regards and Thanks

JAI

Hey, How did you resovle this

@Davidjai wrote:

Thank you so much Mr.hat, i got solution

Regards and Thanks

JAI

How did you resolve this issue ?