Effective December 3, NetApp adopts Microsoft’s Business-to-Customer (B2C) identity management to simplify and provide secure access to NetApp resources.
For accounts that did not pre-register (prior to Dec 3), access to your NetApp data may take up to 1 hour as your legacy NSS ID is synchronized to the new B2C identity.
To learn more, read the FAQ and watch the video.
Need assistance? Complete this form and select “Registration Issue” as the Feedback Category.

Software Development Kit (SDK) and API Discussions

Failure to see a CIFS share from Windows 7

SPERKMANDL

Hi all, as many others before me - I'm spending a lot of time to see a CIFS share under Windows 7.

All I see is the infamous "The account is not authorized to log in from this station".

CIFS setup ok, authentication by /etc/passwd, signing.enable on, no wins. I can ping the filer, I can run apitest, however the share does not appear within my Windows shares, and net use fails always. No life sign from cifs.trace_login.

Share is HOME, /vol/vol0/home, everyone, Full Control.

Networking occurs through a VPN (OpenVPN), and share mapping attempt was:

net use * \\192.168.3.86\HOME password1 /USER:192.168.3.86\root

I tried to create another user through useradmin, no success.

Any suggestion is welcome.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SPERKMANDL

Hi Francois, I finally managed to have it working, by selecting authentication #3 (workgroup) in setup. Then I was requested to create an administrator user, so I did. Now it works fine with both local users, administrator and renzo, using the filer name:

net use * \\192.168.3.86\HOME password1 /USER:SCNETAPP\renzo

What is pretty confusing is the usage of "filer" in docs, where it means filer name and not filer host or ip.

Also authentication is somewhat confusing in setup: when choosing #4 (/etc/passwd), I'm prompted for a workgroup anyway, which should be related to #3.

And while choosing #3 I still have in /etc/cifsconfig_setup.cfg: "cifs setup -security unix  -cp 0", although we are going to use local users, not unix users.

In any case, I succeeded only after selecting #3 (workgroup) and creating local users. I still don't understand how a workgroup enters this game, but it works.

Regards,

Renzo

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

francoisbnc

As by default  home is not a qtree

What is security style do you have on /vol/vol0?

Do you tried to use administrator as username?

What is the value of:

>options wafl.nt_admin_priv_map_to_root

>fsecurity show /vol/vol0

>fsecurity show /vol/vol0/home

francois

SPERKMANDL

Hi Francois, I finally managed to have it working, by selecting authentication #3 (workgroup) in setup. Then I was requested to create an administrator user, so I did. Now it works fine with both local users, administrator and renzo, using the filer name:

net use * \\192.168.3.86\HOME password1 /USER:SCNETAPP\renzo

What is pretty confusing is the usage of "filer" in docs, where it means filer name and not filer host or ip.

Also authentication is somewhat confusing in setup: when choosing #4 (/etc/passwd), I'm prompted for a workgroup anyway, which should be related to #3.

And while choosing #3 I still have in /etc/cifsconfig_setup.cfg: "cifs setup -security unix  -cp 0", although we are going to use local users, not unix users.

In any case, I succeeded only after selecting #3 (workgroup) and creating local users. I still don't understand how a workgroup enters this game, but it works.

Regards,

Renzo

View solution in original post

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public