Tech ONTAP Articles

What’s New in NFS Version 4?

summersj

Since its introduction in 1984, the Network File System (NFS) has become a standard for network file sharing, particularly in the UNIX® and Linux® communities. Over the last 20 years, the NFS protocol has slowly evolved to adapt to new requirements and market changes.

Read more....

Please Note:

All content posted on the NetApp Community is publicly searchable and viewable. Participation in the NetApp Community is voluntary.

In accordance with our Code of Conduct and Community Terms of Use, DO NOT post or attach the following:

• Software files (compressed or uncompressed)
  • Files that require an End User License Agreement (EULA)
  • Confidential information
  • Personal data you do not want publicly available
  • Another’s personally identifiable information (PII)
  • Copyrighted materials without the permission of the copyright owner

Continued non-compliance may result in NetApp Community account restrictions or termination.

Replies

The article was excellent. I would ask that a continuation article be submitted that clearly goes through the steps of integration towards single sign on (SSO) using nfsV4 and Windows Kerberos (AD). This is what administrators of a mixed desktop environment are seeking the most amount of guidance in. Lastly, I am curious if Netapp internally uses NFSV4 and SSO and if so what software / best practices they recommend.

I have a Technical Report on "NFSv4 enhancements in 7.3 and best practices" that will be published during the first week of May 2008. The TR # 3580 will have step by step kerberos5 setup procedures in a Windows AD environment where windows and unix users can authenticate themselves.

I found your article to be a very good overview of NFSv4 and its features.

Will you have a TR or follow-on article to discuss tuning of NFSv4 in an Oracle environment? In particular, how would you use the new security and cache delegation scenarios in either a single server or RAC style engagement?

Certifying Oracle11g on NFSv4 will be part of future roadmap. The certification will include testing security features(ACLs & Kerberos)and delegations scenarios on a Single instance and as well as on RAC.

Public