VMware Solutions Discussions

FAS 3020 - should I get one?

NEEPER671

Hello Community,

I am new to SANs, I want a Netapp SAN that can handle multiple shelfs. My ultimate gola is to have one shelf serve my Xenserver environment and the other as a NAS who will be acting as just expansion space for my servers who are almost out of local space.

I do not need tons of storage, I just need about 500GB for my Xenservers and another 500G for my additional NAS space.

I have a limited budget of about 4K, so I think I can swing an "ebayed" FAS3020 with 2 shelves with 24x300GB drives. This should be sufficient for me, I could always add more shelves.

What are your thoughts, remember my idea of a FAS 3020 could be very incorrerct b/c I am unfamiliar with Netapp devices.

Do you think I can get better for my needs? What ones do you recommend?

Thanks in Advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

andrc

The easiest way is to ask them for the output of the CLI commands `version` & `license` but there's no guarantee they're not faking it. If you're buying from an Ebayer seller make sure they've got a good feedback record and from there you just have to trust them. Another site for second hand IT kit is www.brokerbin.com but I think you need to create an account to use it.

Below is a screenshot showing the latest versions of Data Ontap you can currently download:

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
Public