VMware Solutions Discussions

Question Guest OS Tools in VSC 2.1.1

dante_cisternas

Hi,

I have a Linux VM with 3 devices.

/dev/sda

/dev/sdb

/dev/sdc

I run Guest OS Tools on the VM (see picture please).

I have seen scripts sets the values ​​in each device.

My question is;

In Linux OS, if I add a new disk (/dev/sdd, for example), I run the scripts again ..?

In Windows OS, if i add a new disk, I run the scripts again ..?

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5

radek_kubka

Hi,

I am not a Linux guru, but from the description of the process it looks like you have to set disk timeout values if a new device is added, indeed.

That's not the case with Windows though - one registry setting covers all devices:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Disk\TimeOutValue

Regards,

Radek

dante_cisternas

Hi,

If we see what the message said, Windows would have to run it only once, and Linux each time you add a new album. I agree with you ...!!

The point is that the documentation says that this script sets the values ​​in the OS, and nowhere does it say to be executed for each disk.

"Use the Guest OS (GOS) timeout scripts to set the SCSI I/O timeout values for supported Linux, Solaris, and Windows guest operating systems"

Page 44 - Installation and Administration Guide - VSC 2.1.1

Thanks for your comment..

Regards,

Dante.

dbkelly

The GOS scripts only need to be run once per VM ... for both Windows and Linux GOSes!    

Since you are asking about Linux, the GOS scripts creates a new udev rule which gets evaluated on every reboot.   It will set the disk timeout

settings for all the sdXX devices it finds.  

You can verify the settings by doing the following:

cat /sys/block/<SD_DEVICE>/device/timeout

For Example:

#cat /sys/block/sda/device/timeout

dante_cisternas

OK, for a device runs only once, but for a new device ..?

My question is about if you add a new disk, sdb for example, you run the script again ()..?

Thanks.

onephonede

Hi Folks,

sorry bumping into this thread but I thought it might keep the information at one place.

Im just reading the NetApp and VMWare Best Practises-Guide and stumbeled over this GOS Stuff.

As I understand this is what needs to be done:

Use the Guest OS (GOS) timeout scripts to set the SCSI I/O timeout values for supported Linux, Solaris, and Windows guest operating systems

but why whats the benefit ?

what issues might I ran into if not doing so ?

does this change have any impact to productiv system when done after deployment ?

the Guide im reading says:

1. Mount the ISO image provided by the VSC.

2. From within vCenter Server, select a VM to upgrade, right-click it, and select edit settings.

3. Select CDROM and the ISO radio button.

4. Select the appropriate ISO, matching the OS of the VM you are configuring.

5. Select OK.

6. Connect to the VM console.

7. Run the script for the OS of the VM.

8. Exit and unmount the ISO image.

9. Repeat as necessary for each VM.

Im not sure where to find this ISO provided by the VSC, is there any regedit value I can rollout to my Windows machines instead ?

Kind Regards,

Michael

Public