VMware Solutions Discussions

Questions about aggregates and setup

SLINGSH0T

Currently I have a FAS 3170 in active/active configuration.  4 trays of disks, each tray has 14 disks that make up a RAID-DP group.  Therefore there are a total of 4 raid groups.  2 trays of disks have been assigned to each controller.  Each of the controllers disks have been combined into an Aggregate, making a total of 2 aggregates in the array consisting of 28 disks per aggregate.  Each aggregate contains 3 volumes for a total of 6 volumes in the array.

What I would like to achieve here is to combine all 56 disks (the 4 raid groups/trays) into a single aggregate.  The aim of this is to improve read/write performance of the array by essentially doulbing the number of spindles available for io operations.

The array is soon to be taken out of production and available for a teardown/rebuild so it would be good to know if this setup is:

a) worthwhile doing

b) actually technically possible and if so, the best way to do this

c) a supported and/or recommended practice by NetApp (this isn't a big thing but good to know regardless)

Some other information that may be of use:

- The array is used only for VM's in a VMware environment.

- Each controller has 2 physical nics.

- Current disk io is very low and usually 60-70% read, 70-80% random.

Any feedback on the above would be great, thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

scottgelb

Understood. Yes this is possible. You need root on the one passive like node. So 3-5 drives there. 3 for root aggr and 2 spare but you could go less possibly. Then reassign all other disks to the other node or more disk on that node. Would require zeroing of the one node but you can assign disks assymetric like this. We have some customers who don't require the controller performance and do this for failover. I like leveraging both controllers but if spindles are the bottleneck, I can see doing this.

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
Public