VMware Solutions Discussions

Remove an ESXi host from an igroup

alaska-Storage

Hi,

When I attempt to remove an ESXi server from an igroup, I encounter "Error: command failed: LUN maps for this initiator group exist"

--------------------

I checked and found that a similar issue was posted in 2011:

Hi, I'm just wondering if there's a best practice, or official way to remove a vSphere server from an igroup? I have one server that I'd like to move to a new cluster and have it access a different set of LUNs but when I try to delete it's Initator ID, I get a "LUN maps for this initiator group exist iqn.......". The igroup is used by several other production vSphere servers, so I'd like to avoid offlining the LUNs or igroup.

thanks,

The following reply was also found (this solution was not confirmed!!):

Hi,

you can forcefuly remove the initiator from the group, just make sure the esx server does not hold any vms (put him in maintenance mode) and you actualy choose the right initiatorid 😉

igroup remove -f <esxigroup> <initiator>

Kind regards,

--------------

As the igroup is used by several other production vSphere servers, and I would like to avoid offlining the LUNs or igroup, could you please let me know if the force option only removes the initiator from the igroup and doesnot offline/unmap the luns from this igroup.

Thanks in advance for the help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

robinpeter

I have used this before.. And it should not effect any other initiators in that igroup.

All you doing is modifying the igroup with out actually unmapping the lun. 

Make sure you are removing the correct "initiator" from the igroup

otherwise (as you can understand) you might have unexpected result.

Good luck on you maintenance work..

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

robinpeter

i believe you have the command for what you need to achieve.

just in case you need more detaild documentation..here is it.

You can use the force option to remove an initiator and associated LUN maps.

Eg:-

::> lun igroup remove -vserver vs1 -igroup ig1 -initiator iqn.1992-08.com.mv.mvinitiator

thanks,

Robin.

alaska-Storage

Hi Robin,

Thanks for the reply.

I have the needed command and will try it out during the maintenance window that is in the next couple of days.

I will update the results when the task is completed.

Thanks,

Azmath

p.s.: Meanwhile it would nice if someone who had alreday used this command before, could confirm that there is no impact to lun mapping to the other initiators in this igroup! 🙂 

robinpeter

I have used this before.. And it should not effect any other initiators in that igroup.

All you doing is modifying the igroup with out actually unmapping the lun. 

Make sure you are removing the correct "initiator" from the igroup

otherwise (as you can understand) you might have unexpected result.

Good luck on you maintenance work..

alaska-Storage

Hi Robin,

Thank you!

I was able to remove the initiator from the igroup without affecting any other initiators in the igroup! Thanks for the help and the support! Much appreciated!

Thanks,

Azmath

Public