VMware Solutions Discussions

SnapDrive 6.2 and iGroups

cfenetwork

Hello!

I recently installed Snapdrive 6.2 on my windows test VM running in a VMware ESX cluster.  I am having a problem finding my existing igroup whenever I create a new disk or connect an existing disk from my NetApp storage.  It keeps stating “No Igroups Found” and wants to create a new igroup with my ESX initiator that is hosting my test VM.  My existing igroup that was previously defined has every ESX initiator in that group including the ESX server currently hosting my test VM.  Why does snap drive not see this??  The only way I can get this to work using my existing igroup is to map the RDM LUN in filer, then within vCenter edit my test VM and add disk as a RDM.   Once I boot the VM I add this using windows disk management.  Once disk is added, snap drive will see the drive and I am able to manage.  I am not sure if this is supposed to be the way.  Any thought?  TIA!

23 REPLIES 23

razornt

To be honest it depends on the VMs.  Windows 2008R2 VMs seem to run fine with SnapDrive 6.2, 6.2P1, and 6.2.1....all tested with FC RDMs.  For Windows 2003 R2 x64...SnapDrive 6.2 does not work with vSphere 4.1. You will have LUN enumeration errors because the initiator is not supported. You must upgrade to 6.3P1 for it to work.

http://now.netapp.com/NOW/download/software/snapdrive_win/6.3P1/

By the way...the SnapDrive service startup in this config is now CONSIDERABLY faster...damn near instantaneous.

ianaforbes

I can't even begin to describe the snapdrive problems I've had with a customer trying to get it to work within a vm. NetApp needs to step up and provide accurate support compatibility for snapdrive across Windows and ESX. Although the compatibility matrix states one thing, real world implementation reveals another.

imarcroft

I have got this issues too with SDW6.3P1 on a virtual cluster, when you select "manual" you cannot see the VMware igroup to select it.

Public