VMware Solutions Discussions

VIF and 802.1q trunk

jalee12345

Does anyone have a link or info for best practice config from the cisco switch to the storage to configure the VIF and 802.1q trunk?

7 REPLIES 7

jalee12345

Great thanks, nice article.  Also, is there anywhere that gives you instructions to adding this on the netapp side, i.e. how to save it, how to edit and the file name, meaning of the netapp commands?

Thanks in advance

ekashpureff

On the NetApp side it is the 'vif' command ( or ifgrp in 8.0 ) to configure, along with 'ifconfig'.

All interface configuration commands need to be included in /etc/rc to reconfigure at reboot time.

I hope this response has been helpful to you.

At your service,

Eugene E. Kashpureff
ekashp@kashpureff.org
Senior Systems Architect / NetApp Certified Instructor
http://www.linkedin.com/in/eugenekashpureff

(P.S. I appreciate points for helpful or correct answers.)

roman_verysell

Look at TR-3808 "Ethernet Storage" first, by Trey Layton. It's a most useful TR about VIFs.

aborzenkov

Tr-3808 is “VMware vSphere and ESX 3.5 Multiprotocol Performance”. Is it the correct number?

jalee12345

Also, does anyone know if it is possible to make edits to these configuration without brining down vmware virtual servers?

ekashpureff

You could edit the config file without bringing down services, but you'd need to take a hit at some point when you reconfigure the interfaces.

An interface must be configured in a down state before it can be added to a vif.

You don't have to re-boot to test your new /etc/rc file. You can use the 'source' command - 'source /etc/rc'.

I hope this response has been helpful to you.

At your service,

Eugene E. Kashpureff
ekashp@kashpureff.org
Senior Systems Architect / NetApp Certified Instructor
http://www.linkedin.com/in/eugenekashpureff

(P.S. I appreciate points for helpful or correct answers.)

jalee12345

Also, from your link above, this is how to configure this protocol?

Filer RC File

#Manually editied filer RC File 3 March, 2009, by Trey Layton

hostname filer a

vif create lacp templage-vif1 -b ip e01 e0c e0d

I can do this using hyperterm and edit the file in that regards?  then save it?

Public