VMware Solutions Discussions

VSC, cloning and provisioning module, no interface in the module setup

romainguibert

Hello,

I've seen this problem in two different infras.

Architecture :

FAS2040A, with luns in ISCSI connected to ESX 4.1.

VSC 2.1 installed on the ESX4.1 module.

All VSC functionalities work perfectly (backup, restore, clone, etc). Everything except the provisioning part.

In the setup of the VSC Provisioning and Cloning module, after adding a Storage Controller, I have to choose which agregates, volumes and interfaces I allow this module to use.

No interfaces are available in this setup page, which stops me from using the provisioning part of VSC.

I have tried about every-thing, changing networks, dedicating networks, but no interfaces show.

Any idea?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

costea

Because of the invalid return code, the interfaces aren't built properly.  This must be specific to the P release you are running.  I am running 7.3.5.1 with success.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

costea

Any interfaces defined on e0m cannot be used for provisioning or cloning.  Those interfaces will not show up.  If an interface is already assigned to a vfiler, it will be skipped as well.

You could take a look at the kamino.log file for one of the following messages:

"Added network device - e0a, ip 192.168.100.125, network 192.168.100.0"

"Network device skipped (vfiler interface) - e0b, ip 192.168.100.125, network 192.168.100.0"

This can help you identify the interfaces that may be getting skipped.

romainguibert

Hi, and thanks for your answer.

2040 does not have e0M, I do have a vfiler license, but I do not use it and have not configured it at all.

Absolutly NO interface show up in this setup menu.

I'll take a look at the log file you mention.

Thanks again

romainguibert

re,

Looking at the kamino.log after trying to display ressources show no such messages. I see the process where VSC looks at the available ressources (interfaces, vols, aggrs). It evens show an ifconfig and vif summary, so it does see the interfaces, but does not considers them as "avaible" ressources for the provisioning module.

costea

You have to remove and re-add the controller to see those messages.

romainguibert

we did that before looking at the logs.

costea

Then it's possible the log wrapped to the next file.  Could you attach the logs here so I can take a look?

romainguibert

Thanks again for your time.

Kaminolog attached, juste after readding the controler

costea

It looks like you are running a version of ONTAP that supports concurrent system-cli.  The logs show that the system-cli call we use to build the interface details returns an invalid return code.  This is causing the error you are seeing.

romainguibert

DOT 7.3.5.1P4 version.

I didn't really understand your point or what is causing the non display of the available interfaces. I do not have error messages, juste no available interfaces in the setup menu.

Is this juste a DOT bug and I have to change versions?

costea

Because of the invalid return code, the interfaces aren't built properly.  This must be specific to the P release you are running.  I am running 7.3.5.1 with success.

romainguibert

Thanks. Could not try in 7.3.5.1, this dot version is no more available, but it works in 7.3.6.

Thanks a lot.

f_duranti

Running the same 7.3.5.1P4 release (with VSC 2.1.1 on vSphere 5) and I've exactly the same problem (no interface shown and impossibility to provision datastore). I've 6 storage with the same 7.3.5.1P4 release on them should I upgrade all of them (really difficult because I've to plan a full stop of the datacenter to do this or there will be a patch available that will solve the problem with VSC ? Should I open a support call?

Regards

Francesco

costea

You need to use 7.3.6.

Public