VMware Solutions Discussions

What type of performance gain did Suncorp see using Flash Cache?

wian

This is the first of a question series we like to call 'Question of the Week' where we post a question & you get a chance to win a $100 (USD) Apple® Gift Card from the NetApp Community Team.

Question of the week:

What type of performance gain did Suncorp see using Flash Cache?

How to win:

Watch the video, read the Suncorp Tech OnTap article, and reply to this post with your answer:

Timing: Post your reply by Friday 4/15, 12:00 pm, PST

* Please, limit 1 entry per person.

For information or have questions, please see the contest rules: http://communities.netapp.com/docs/DOC-10250

9 REPLIES 9

nmorseapex

I/O-intensive Oracle® applications have seen read latency drop from between 11 and 12 milliseconds, down to below 2 milliseconds when Flash Cache is enabled.

tony

I/O-intensive Oracle® apps that were between 11 and 12 milliseconds are now down to below 2 milliseconds when Flash Cache is enabled.

proby

I/O-intensive Oracle® applications that had read latency between 11 and 12 milliseconds are now down to below 2 milliseconds when Flash Cache is enabled.

carlmart165

I/O-intensive Oracle® applications have seen read latency drop from between 11 and 12 milliseconds, down to below 2 milliseconds when Flash Cache is enabled

shaunjurr

Yeah... this is a good idea... cut-n-paste answers...

How about you get everyone to do a PCS analysis on their machines that don't yet have PAM cards to see if they could also see some benefits...

Or actually just get the SunCorp guys to give a little less "marketing monkey" information and give some live numbers on how much faster their VMWare machines boot (they were like 95% virtualized)...

Give my $100 to the poor SunCorp guy that actually digs up the better stats...

peluso

Okay Okay -- true, copy paste was the easy answer.  We've got a different one up for this week.  http://communities.netapp.com/message/51774#51774

Do you have any input on this one?  Or have you given up?  Trying to make things less about marketing and raise the awareness of real successes.

thanks for your candor;)

Terri

Thanks so much!
Terri Peluso
Senior Community Program Manager

aaronh

shaunjurr,

those detailed numbers you speak of do in fact, exist. I remember some specific Flashcache "before and after" statistics and Performance Advisor graphs that were circulated by the Suncorp storage team showing how much the Oracle and Claimscentre application had benefited. I suspect that the Suncorp guys simply choose not to share this level of detail publicly. We (NetApp), would love them to, but must respect their choice to remain private with much of their data.

How do I know? I was the SE lead on the Suncorp account for the first few years and remain very close to the team that continue to work with them.

Thanks,

Aaron

yallaiah

Sun is possibly going for flex cache, becuase of

• provides faster access to read queries in oracle database(within 2sec), that helps in getting information quickly
  • minimum latencies during the I/O operations
  • helps in fast access of virtual desktops by caching the contents into flexcache
  • sun is looking forward to make use of flexcache to provide virtual desktop environment which makes them to save lot of resources

wian

Thank you to everyone you participated in our first contest. Congratulations to our winner Nathan Morse

Please be sure to check out 2nd "Question of the Week": http://communities.netapp.com/message/51774#51774 for your chance to win.

Public