VMware Solutions Discussions

Re: When to use SME and SMSQL in Vmware environment

amritad

Hi Rich,

Flexclone is required in 2.0 for:

1)single File restore (i.e. the granularity of restoring just a single guest file)

2)NFS datastore mounts (flexclone is optional for VMFS mounts as SMVI uses LUNClone if Flexclone is not available in this case)

3)out-of place NFS VMDK restores (when you're restoring an NFS VMDK to an alternate datastore)

It is not required for other operations.

Regards

Amrita

mearsrich

Hi,

Thank you for that. Just to confirm, if I upgrade to SMVI 2.0 I will still be able to restore a single VM (vmdk and/or vmx) to the original datastore only. That is core functionality so I would expect this to be the case.

I see that to restore to a different datastore requires FlexClone, how about restore to the same datastore but a different path. I assume I wouldn't need a license for that as there would be no additional mounting or anything involved.

My final question Does the SMVI 2.0 GUI now have the compression option? I use snapmirror.conf at the moment to snapmirror after the SMVI 1.2R1 backups. To carry on using compression must I keep doing this and are there any downsides to not using SMVI to start the SnapMirror ???

Thanks again,

Rich.

amritad

Hi Rich

if I upgrade to SMVI 2.0 I will still be able to restore a single VM (vmdk and/or vmx) to the original datastore only. That is core functionality so I would expect this to be the case

Yes that is correct

I see that to restore to a different datastore requires FlexClone, how about restore to the same datastore but a different path. I assume I wouldn't need a license for that as there would be no additional mounting or anything involved.

USing the GUI you can only restore to the same datastore there is no option to specify a different path.

SMVI 2.0 GUI now have the compression option?

The GUI doesn't have the compression option. If you set the policy to update snapmirror using SMVI the policy takes care of replication automatically for each backup. Apart from that I am not sure if there are any downsides.

Regards

Amrita

Earn Rewards for Your Review!
GPI Review Banner
All Community Forums
Public