VMware Solutions Discussions

iscsi configuration...

goof1427

thanks for your time.

I am trying to configure iscsi from the NetApp to ESXi 4.1 host.  I have created the LUNs (as vmware), the initiator group and added the iqn of the iscsi software adapter of the esxi host.  on the esxi host i have added the filer IP in the dynamic discovery tab and after a rescan it has populated the full iqn in the static discovery tab ( i assume this is good communication). I disabled CHAP because when it was enabled it failed according to initiator reports from fileviewer.

I just dont know what I am overlooking or not doing...any help or info will be greatly appreciated.  I have talked to netapp support and we even tried to go directly to the windows server 2008r2 and that was unable to connect as well.

Another question that comes into mind that is should i go directly to the windows box? instead of adding it to esxi host?  doesnt that just put on another layer for failure? if the host goes down there goes the connection?  but if it vmotions over to another host does iscsi connections come with? or does it need to be setup on every host?  And is there ontap dsm for windows since it has better features and benefits then the standard windows iscsi software.

thanks again.

18 REPLIES 18
Public