VMware Solutions Discussions

Best Practices for SnapManager for SQL and SnapDrive 6.3 with VMDKs

Hi all,

With the introduction of SnapDrive 6.3 and VMDK support, how does this affect the way Ideploy SQL in virtual environments?

I am familiar with SQL data layout using RDMs and LUNs through the Microsoft ISCSI initiator in the VM but how does this affect SQL data layout using VMDKs? Do I just substitute LUNs for VMDKs on NFS volumes using the same logs/database separation? Is the sizing process the same? Is throughout on a VMDK in a NFS volume the same as a LUN?

Any help in this area would be useful, as we will be deploying more and more of these environments using SnapDrive 6.3 and this would really simplify things.

Thanks,

David Brown Senior Virtualisation and Storage Consultant for EACS Limited - NCDA, NCIE

45 REPLIES 45

mladen_zecevic

Hi David,

I know you did not expect a question here, but I am interested if you have succesfully deployed SD6.3?

I have tried installing it in my lab, one windows 2008r2 virtual machine in a vSphere 4.0 environment. The datastore is an NFS shared volume on a fas270 (Data ONTAP 7.3.4). SnapDrive installs and runs fine, but the list of disks is empty. The VirtualCenter server is also a VM and it is a standalone server (not part of an Active Directory domain). VSC 2.0 is installed and running on defaul port.

I would very much appretiate it if you can give me a hint of what could be wrong/where to check for details, or describe your config.

Regarding your questions, I guess that the performance of NFS should be better than iSCSI from within a VM. As far as disk layout is concerned I would keep it the same e.g. LUN=VMDK. Since snapshots are volume based it is probably good to separate data and log disks into different volumes.

thanks,

Mladen

watan

SDW 6.3 requires VSC 2.0.1 for integration to work and  is scheduled to release soon.

mladen_zecevic

Thanks 

davieb1969

Hi Mladen,

Yer I installed SD 6.3 and SMSQL 5.1. Both seemed ok with iSCSI initiator running in the VM, but I couldn't move the System databases; I've logged a call with NetApp. Bugger about VMDK support only in VSC 2.01 cause I really wanted to deploy this. Backups seem to be working though.

DB

watan

David,

This is a question that is being looked at internally  and our SQL experts should address this in a TR or BPG soon.   I will see if we can get some info posted on this thread.

HendersonD

At the end of this week we are installing SQL 2008 on a new Server 2008 R2 VM. This server, besides a C: drive has 4 other drives; System Databases, User Databases, Logs, and Snapinfo. These 4 other drives are NFS shares from my FAS3020. My current SQL server uses iSCSI LUNS from my filer which uses OnTap 7.3.2.

On this VM I will be installing Snapdrive 6.3 and Snapmanger for SQL 5.1. My understanding is this combination should allow me to backup my SQL databases when they are stored on NFS shares.

We are also installing vCenter Server 4.1 on a new VM running Server 2008 R2. On this VM I will also be installing Snapdrive 6.3, SMVI, and VSC 2.0.1 (when it is released). My understanding is this will allow SMVI to work properly.

I am bit confused now. Since VSC 2.0.1 is a plugin to the vCenter, is it needed to make Snapshots work properly on my new SQL server I described above?

amritad

Hi

IF you need VMDK support you need the VSC 2.0.1 along with SMSQL and SDW. VSC 2.0.1 is not yet released. So the idea is that you would install VSC 2.0.1 (unified plug-in consisting of VSC, RCU and SMVI) and VSC 2.0.1 will push the vdisk apis which will enable VMDK support for SMSQL.

Regards

Amrita

HendersonD

Now this is making a bit more sense. Is this what gets installed then on each server:

vCenter Server - VSC 2.0.1

SQL Server - Snapdrive and SMSQL

SMVI and RCU is incorporated into VSC 2.0.1 and not a separate install.

Is VSC 2.0.1 still on schedule to be released before months end? I am going to move forward with my project and install SQL on my new server. It sounds like the databases and log files can be stored on NFS fine, the only thing I can't do until VSC 2.0.1 is released is take snapshots. Is this correct?

amritad

Yes you are correct about installations. So you need VSC 2.0.1 in order to backup and restore SQL databases that are available on VMDK. And you need to the VSC 2.0.1 to make use of all our cool VSC, RCU and SMVI functionality (in case you are not using VSC 2.0 ). It’s still month end. I’ll let you now once it’s posted.

Regards

Amrita

HendersonD

I am using SMVI 2.0 installed directly on my current vCenter Server to backup all of my VMs and it works great. I also have VSC 1.0 installed as a plugin but have not used VSC 2.0 yet. Three questions:

1. If I want to backup my VMs once I am on my new setup (vSphere 4.1) can I just install VSC 2.0? From your post is sounds like this would work for using the SMVI functionality built into VSC 2.0. The only thing I could not do is backup my SQL databases until VSC 2.0.1 is released.

2. I will be upgrading to Exchange 2010 in the next few months. Right now I have Exchange 2007 running under VMWare with two iSCSI luns and SME for backup. With my new Exchange server can I store the database and log files on an NFS share and use VSC 2.0.1 along with Snapdrive 6.3 and SME to do the backup?

3. Will Netapp get to a point where SMVI will backup Exchange and SQL databases and log files directly? In other words, the functionality built into SME and SMSQL such as queuescing databases and truncating log files can be handled by SMVI?

watan

Just to clarify,  SDW 6.3 will be able to identify NFS datastores for installation on VMDKs with VSC 2.0.1.  You won't be able to install on a NFS share.

As for integration ,  with this solution (SMSQL,VSC,SDW)  you'll be able to quiesce your SQL database and truncate logs just like SMSQL currently works on physical hosts.  To have it all in single pane of glass is something we are working towards and will start to see more and more in the future. 

HendersonD

Watan,

I think I may have misunderstood how this works, this is what I have done so far:

1. Carved out 4 volumes on my filer, one each for SystemDB, UserDB, Logs, and SnapInfo

2. Created 4 NFS exports corresponding to each of these volumes

3. Added the 4 shares to each of my VSphere hosts using the Configuration tab of the Virtual Center client

4. Shutdown what will be my new SQL 2008 server.

5. Edited its settings using the Virtual Center client and added 4 hard disks corresponding to the 4 datastores created in step 3

6. Brought the SQL server back up and using the Manage MMC, added the 4 volumes to my server giving them the proper names and drive letters. Now I have a server with of course a C drive and 4 other drives labeled SystemDB, UserDB, Logs and SnapInfo

At the end of this week I was going to install SQL 2008 and then later this month or early November I was going to install Snapdrive and SMSQL on this server and of course VSC 2.0.1 on my Virtual Center server. From what you have written it almost sounds like I am doing this all wrong. If I am, what is the correct procedure? Do I somehow use VSC 2.0.1 to carve out the NFS datastores where my SQL databases and logs will go similar to how Snapdrive was used to make LUNs under my current SQL 2005 setup?

watan

You should be able to install with that but keep in mind that SDW won't see anything until VSC 2.0.1 is installed.   You've got the setup correct but VSC is the communicator to the VMware bits so SDW won't be aware of any disks until VSC is installed and configured.

HendersonD

Super, I was worried that my method was completely wrong. I can wait until VSC 2.0.1 is released so I can use SMSQL in conjuntion with SDW to make backups on this new SQL server. I will only have two databases on it (virtual center and update manager) and I can backup them up using the SQL tools while I wait. Thanks for your help, I feel more confident going into my install on Thursday.

radek_kubka

Hi,

I just tried following combo:

VSC v. 2.0.10194.1146

SDW v. 6.3.0.4718 (6.3P1)

The newest SDW still does not recognise VMDKs in NFS datastore, whilst the old beta build 6.3.0.4466 worked like a charm (both with VSC 2.0 & 2.0.1).

Am I missing something?

Regards,
Radek

radek_kubka

Hi all,

I am trying to bump a thread as the issue remains unresolved from my perspective.

Anyone managed to make SDW6.3P1 recognising VMDKs on NFS datastore? It plainly refuses to work for me for whatever reason

Cheers,

Radek

amritad

Are you using SDW to create VMDKs? Use VC client to create VMDKs instead if you are. IT should work then

Regards

Amrita

radek_kubka

Hi Amrita,

Yes, I am using vCenter to add new disk(s) to the VM in question - I am familiar with the procedure & it works fine for beta build of SDW (6.3.0.4466), but it doesn't work for production builds, either 6.3.0.4601 or 6.3.0.4718.

Regards,

Radek

amritad

So you don’t see the VMDK’s getting listed in SnapDrive? Do you see any error messages in VSC 2.0.1 or SDW?

Regards

Amrita

radek_kubka

So you don’t see the VMDK’s getting listed in SnapDrive?

Yes, exactly. Beta build on the other hand lists correctly everything, including C (boot) drive as well.

Do you see any error messages in VSC 2.0.1 or SDW? 

Nope - unless I am missing something. SDW can definitely talk to vCenter, as handling iSCSI RDMs (mounts, dismounts) works properly.

Public