BlueXP Services

Altavault not joining Active Directory

dannchen

I'm trying to joing an Altavault virtual appliance to and active directory.

I've entered the FQDN, user and password.

The following message appears:

Joining domain <FQDN of my active directory> failed. Please see the system log for details.

This are the logs outputs

Mar 2 16:05:37 altavault webasd[4603]: [web.INFO]: web: User admin viewing CIFS page.
Mar 2 16:05:46 altavault rfsd[4682]: [replicator.INFO] (4981) replicated slab 000000000739.slab (138.388s)
Mar 2 16:05:58 altavault lsass: [lsass] Failed to run provider specific request (request code = 8, provider = 'lsa-activedirectory-provider') -&gt; error = 2453, symbol = NERR_DCNotFound, client pid = 3915
Mar 2 16:05:58 altavault mgmtd[3915]: [mgmtd.WARNING]: Joining domain ActiveDirectory.cloud.com failed. Please see the system log for details.
Mar 2 16:05:58 altavault webasd[4603]: [web.INFO]: web: Received return code 1, return message 'Joining domain ActiveDirectory.cloud.com failed. Please see the system log for details.\n' from gclSession pygs_handle_any_response
Mar 2 16:05:58 altavault hald[4596]: [hald.INFO]: Support query handler called
Mar 2 16:05:58 altavault webasd[4603]: [web.INFO]: web: User admin viewing CIFS page.

I've tried searching the error, but all I find are not related to altavault nor similar.

4 REPLIES 4

NAYABSK

Hi Dan, 

Is the altavault and Domain servers in different time zones ? Did you check if there is any time lag more than 5Mins ?

Thanks,

Nayab

jgercken

NERR_DCNotFound suggests the AltaVault was unable to use DNS to locate an AD server within that domain.  

Test DNS resolution manually with a windows client

C:\> nslookup -q=srv _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.<domain name> <dns server IP>

Test DNS resolution manually with a *nix or Mac client

# dig @<dns server IP> -t SRV _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.<domain name>

stevedegroat

I had the same issue, upgrading from v4.1.1 to v4.2.  Due to our AD structure the AVA didn't handle the FQDN and NetBios name correctly.  Had to downgrade (reinstall basically).  There is now a v4.2P1 available that made the difference for me.  

stevedegroat

In addtion under v4.2.1 it helps to add host entries to the AVA for your Domain Controllers (Configure - Host Settings - Hosts). 

Public