Data Backup and Recovery

Attempting to Install Windows 2008 R2 SP1 w/ SnapDrive installed on the server

celliott3535

I ran into the following situation about a month ago and then again today.  I was attempting to install SP1 on a windows 2008 r2 server but shortly after the install started it would fail. The Microsoft troubleshooting was pointing to a problem with the partition or the disks themselves.  I went through the different steps that Microsoft recommended without success.  At one point, one of the steps rendered the server unbootable; thank goodness it was a VM and I had taken a snapshot!!!  After looking on the true microsoft knowledgebase, Google, I wasn't able to find anything and broke down and called Microsoft support.  Once I mentioned to support I had Snapdrive installed on the server, she found a reference to that being the issue.  Evidently, when Snapdrive is installed it "takes control of how a drive/volume" is presented to the operating system.  This process works wonderfully all the time except when installing SP1.  She indicated that Microsoft assumed the operating system had direct access to the C drive when they created SP1, which apparently they don't.  So here is the fix:

1) uninstall snapdrive

2) open command prompt using the RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR option (not sure how neccessary, but this is what I did)

3) run command mountvol /E

4) restart server and install SP1

5) reinstall snapdrive

Hope this helps someone.  I know I burned several hours tracking down this small little nugget of knowledge.

2 REPLIES 2

GRAEMEOGDEN

I've seen this problem and another workaround is assigning the 'System' partition a drive letter.

radek_kubka

There is plenty of info around this issue in this thread:

https://communities.netapp.com/message/50066#49925

Regards,
Radek

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public