Data Backup and Recovery

Failed to Map virtual disk: There are no available SCSI controllers..

YearsleyIT

I keep getting the following errors when trying to verify my SQL backup:

Failed to Map virtual disk: There are no available SCSI controllers..

(SnapDrive Error Code: 0xc00403e3)

Failed with error code 0xc0040814.

The wierd thing is some actually backup but it seems sporadic.

Anyone have any ideas? My Support partner is useless for helping me out with anything...

Thanks. 

12 REPLIES 12

deepuj

Hi,

Hope this Article will help you https://kb.netapp.com/support/index?page=content&id=3013601

Thanks

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

YearsleyIT

Hi Deepuj

Unfortunately the article has not helped me in figuring out why the backups keep failing. The only error that keeps showing up is:

Error code : Failed to create disk in virtual machine, Failed to Map virtual disk: There are no available SCSI controllers..

I am at a loss as to why this is the case, all my LUN's are present?

Why would this error happen?

YearsleyIT

Resized all my discs to double the size. Just in case something strange was happening with the backup size. Still the same error:

[SnapDrive Error]: Failed to create disk in virtual machine, Failed to Map virtual disk: There are no available SCSI controllers..

YearsleyIT

Just deleted all SnapManager info and all jobs. Started from scratch and guess what:

[SnapDrive Error]: Failed to create disk in virtual machine, Failed to Map virtual disk: There are no available SCSI controllers..
(SnapDrive Error Code: 0xc00403e3)

Please can someone shed any light at all?? I am very close in just setting up Backup NFS stores and doing all my backups the traditional and RELIABLE way. Not impressed.

CASTROJSEC

I imagine that your SQl is on a virtual server.  Can you give me more info about your environment and is the backup failing or is the verification failing?  How many ESX servers in the group and how disks does it see?

YearsleyIT

Hi Castrojsec 

Only the verification is failing.

SQL 2008 R2 is installed on a Windows server 2008 R2 Enterprise virtual machine. I am using SnapDrive version: 6.5, SnapManager for SQL version: 6.0.1.1431

I have all MDF's and LDF's on LUN's attached to the server via mount points.

I have a LUN snap drive attached where all my snapinfo and Snapmounts go to.

I have 5 hosts in my ESXi 5.1 estate.

Each LUN has a separate backup job.

I hope this helps.

jcbettinelli

Hello,

Do you use SnapManager or SnapProtect, because your post has SnapProtect label in it, but you seem to use SnapManager?

Regards,

JCB

YearsleyIT

Sorry I do not know what 'SnapProtect' is.

I am using SnapDrive version: 6.5, SnapManager for SQL version: 6.0.1.1431

Our Netapp Support partner has said it is not a Netapp issue and to raise the issue with VMware. I have just been on the phone with VMware support who have confirmed it is a Netapp issue and not a VMware issue.  

I am now stuck between a rock and a hard place. 

jcbettinelli

@YearsleyIT wrote:

Sorry I do not know what 'SnapProtect' is.

I am using SnapDrive version: 6.5, SnapManager for SQL version: 6.0.1.1431

Our Netapp Support partner has said it is not a Netapp issue and to raise the issue with VMware. I have just been on the phone with VMware support who have confirmed it is a Netapp issue and not a VMware issue.  

I am now stuck between a rock and a hard place. 

SnaProtect is another backup software which do not require SnapDrive nor SnapManager.

Could you describe your environment?

The SQL servers are virtualized (VMs) ?

For the LUNs, do you use iSCSI or FC?

If it is FC, it is RDM.

if it is iSCSI, is it RDM or do you map the lun in the VM using the Microsoft iSCSI initiator?

Do you encounter the error every time?

Regards,

Jean-Christophe

AndyD

This is typically due to an exhaustion of virtual SCSI ports available on the virtual SCSI adapter in a VMware virtual machine.  Please look at the configuration of the virtual machine (open vCenter, right click the virtual machine and select 'Edit Settings').  How many SCSI adapters do you have listed, and how many disks do you have mounted to that SCSI adapter?

I am willing to bet you do not have enough free SCSI ports on the virtual SCSI controller to mount the LUN clones required to perform the verification.  When this is encountered, SnapDrive returns the error you are seeing, rathe than call the VMware API to add a new SCSI controller (yes, there is a bug opened on this).

In the mean time, I would suggest creating a new virtual SCSI device in the virtual machine.  To do this, either add a new disk (via vCenter), specifying a different SCSI controller/port (i.e. SCSI 1:0, or a SCSI identifier that is not in use), or offline an existing LUN/VMDK and reconnect it to a different SCSI controller/port (again, SCSI 1:0).  Unfortunately, there is no way to add just a SCSI controller to a virtual machine without a disk connected to it.

If you require assistance with this process, please contact NetApp Support, as we have seen this many times and will be happy to assist.

YearsleyIT

Hi AndyD

In total there is 12 SCSI devices attached to this server. That means there is 3 free for mounting and verifing. I do not believe that this is the issue.

I have had VMware support remoted to the server and they can confirm there is nothing wrong with the configuration and the issue must be with the Netapp products.  They have confirmed that the 12 SCSI devices isnt near the 15 limit per controller. 

Hope this helps because not one backup job is verifying still. 

gmurison07

I had the same situation, however when I created a dummy vmdk, mapped it to scsi1:0 the verification started to work.

I would say give it a try and see what comes of it.

Depending what snapmanager product you are using it could be trying to mount more than 3 LUNS and then you will exceed the 15 scsi device limitation.

Public