Data Backup and Recovery

Option to disable debug logging in SnapCreator?

avbohemen

Hello,

Is there an option to disable debug logging in SnapCreator? Is was very usefull when I was testing and setting up SC, but now I don't need these logs, they just make it harder to read the output of a job. For instance, we have 100s of snapvault relationships on a filer, and for each relationship an "iteration" debug message is logged every minute for as long as the snapvault update is running. That makes the logfile huge, without recording any usefull information. Can I get rid of those messages, and only log info, warning and error messages?

8 REPLIES 8

ktenzer

We used to provide this option but NGS wanted to always capture enough detail.

I will take this as feature request that we can optionally create second log without debug info. Would that meet your needs?

A workaround now is to run SC w/--verbose option then pipe that output to a file.

Regards,

Keith

avbohemen

If you can make that second log the default log to be displayed in the web gui, it will probably be sufficient. If NGS requests the full debug log, they can also point me to the correct location whenever I log a case.

ktenzer

Ok I will talk to dev team, we will work on solution for this.

Keith

dcornely1

Ah hah!  Figured someone else had asked for this.  Just running SC3.3 now and was looking for the same thing, DEBUG on by default makes the .out file really hard to read.

I'm down with a second .out log file without the DEBUG info too.  Thanks!

dcornely1

I take it back - not being able to turn off DEBUG is a bad thing since we'll have to manage and have space for many more log files.  There was already a debug option to running SnapCreator, not sure why we can't turn this off now.  We need to be able to turn this off.

ktenzer

We used to make it optional however if we dont have debug logs we cant guarantee we can figure why something broke if someone ooens a support case. This comes down to a support question and without debug we are flying blind.

I will talk to other devs and see if we can figure something out but like I said verbose only is not enough.

Keith

ktenzer

FYI SC 3.4.0 does even more logging, we also log results to all zapis so snaplist, volume list, etc. I think we can relax this though. I could see that logs could be large.

Keith

ktenzer

Hi Guys,

Yes great request, here is update on this

In next release we are planning following to further improve logging:

.out - verbose only

.debug - verbose + debug (what .out is today)

.stderr - stderr (what .debug is today)

.error - error history same as today

I think this gives good mix, NGS requires the debug somewhere so we can properly troubleshoot if issue arises

Let me know if this works for you or if you have other ideas?

Keith

Public