Community maintenance is complete. Thank you for your patience!

Data Backup and Recovery

Restrict SnapDrive LUN ID from using 0

peterh

I’m working with SnapDrive for Linux 4.1, installed on Suse Linux 10.2

When I issue the command:
Snapdrive storage create –lun 192.168.1.15:/vol/suseeng/suseq/senglun –lunsize 75g
It created the LUN with ID 0, which always fails.  I want it to create it with LUN ID 1 (or the next available LUN ID).
When I specify to create 2 or more LUNS, everything higher than LUN ID 0 works fine.
I looked on the NetApp communities blog and see several others have the same issue, so I’m thinking a solution would be to have SnapDrive start with LUN ID 1 instead of 0.

Do you know what file I would modify to tell SnapDrive to start with LUN ID 1?

4 REPLIES 4

rushi

Hi Peter,

As a workaround you can create a dummy lun and map it to the igroup created/used by SDU, such that it gets the ID 0 and continue to use SDU for other luns.

>>> Do you know what file I would modify to tell SnapDrive to start with LUN ID 1?

LUN IDs are actually assigned by the filer when a lun is mapped to an igroup. So, SDU has no control over choosing a LUN ID.

BTW, are you using FCP or iSCSI?

Thanks,

Rushi

peterh

In fact that is how I did a work-around, but I wasn't really happy with it because I want to demo SnapDrive for Unix with iSCSI to a potential customer, and wish to have everything automated.  If I create the first LUN with ID 0, then I must manually show them the steps, i.e. creating the initiator group, LUN, etc.

I was hoping their was a way to work around this by telling the OS, SnapDrive or placing a switch in the create snapdrive cli to use a specific LUN.

amiller_1

Hmmm.....what version of Data ONTap?

It sounds similar to mapping a LUN ID in FilerView without specifying a LUN ID -- FilerView just picks the lowest free one for you. So....if the underlying API calls in ONTap have issues with that....

peterh

Data ONTAP 7.3.1.P1

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public