Data Backup and Recovery

SC 3.5.0 w/vCloud - restore a single VM in a multiple VM vApp?

JIM_SURLOW

If I have multiple VMs in a vApp in vCloud, is there a way with SnapCreator to only restore a single VM without restoring the entire vApp?

So far with my testing, it seems that SC rolls back the entire vApp.

5 REPLIES 5

Arora_Kapil

It is not possble using the same vcloud configuration that was used for backup but if you create a new vsphere config specifying the vCenter details for the VM and use the backup snapshot, you can restore one VM

Kapil.

JIM_SURLOW

But, using the vCenter component could leave one in trouble with vCloud Director not being able to be aware of the state of the system (power on/power off).  VSC-like capabilities would be helpful, but VSC is not supported with vCloud Director (as I was told by support). 

ktenzer

Hi Jim,

We have not yet heard the need from out customer to restore certain VMs in a vApp. The point of a vApp was to handle VMs together as an entity. We will look into this use case in future to see if we can provide more granularity to allow restore of specific VMs.

I agree that the current workaround of using vCenter components is less than ideal.

Regards,

Keith

JIM_SURLOW

Keith,

I think the use case will become more relevant/popular as vCloud admins discover (as I did) that Netapp Support won't support SMVI w/vCD - and that they are pointing folks to SC.   Other use cases surrounding VMs as a granular unit then begin to surface as well.

Jim

ktenzer

Hi Jim,

Yep got it!

I have opened a feature request for this and we will discuss it in our development meetings.

The site www.snapcreator.com should soon be open to all with NOW accounts so stay tuned as that gives you access to our bug tracking system and other tools so you can track and even get involved in improving SC.

Here is issue for this after you get access: https://github.com/NetApp/SC-Framework/issues/355

Regards,

Keith

Public