Data Backup and Recovery

SMSQL 5.0 Alternative for Restoring to Alternate SQL Server

elarin010

Morning all,

I'm disappointed to find out that with SnapManger for SQL 5.0 I cannot restore to an alternate SQL server if the source database instance is clustered. This was something we relied on when we were using SMSQL 2.1. We have situations where we just need to access particular tables or objects to restore and don't want to restore the entire database over itself.

Will this functionality be restored in future version of SMSQL? If not, what other options do I have for similiar functionality?

Erick

3 REPLIES 3

qzhang

The functionality is still available in 5.0, but renamed to "Clone". It is same as 2.1 restore to alternate SQL Server. You can use "Clone" button in the restore view, or use "Clone wizard". Note you will need to have a standalone instance as the target instance, this is same as 2.1 also.

Thanks,

-Qing

israelmmi

qzhang

SMSQL 5.0 restore to alternative location was renamed to "Clone database" from SMSQL 2.1. You can use clone wizard or quick clone view from the restore node. The same functionality is still there. Your target SQL Server will have to be a standalone SQL Server though, that is same requirement as SMSQL 2.1.

Thanks,

-Qing

Public