Data Backup and Recovery

Snap Creator VMware configuration w/VIBE

jntballard

After reviewing the Install and Admin Guide in addition to other posts I have a couple questions regarding the correct configuration to backup VMs running Oracle/SQL (no RDM) and VIBE.

Here is the configuration:

- Dedicated SC server running LINUX

- vSphere 4.1

- vCenter Server running W2K8 64 bit

- VSC plugin 2.1

- Misc VMs running Oracle/SQL

- Misc dedicated servers running Oracle

I currenlty have Snap Creator working fine backuping up the standalone servers running Oracle, replicating the snaps, integrated to trigger NDMP backups, etc... we are now looking at the integration with the DBs running on the VMs (no RDMs) - the DBs are on LINUX and Windows VMs.

Here are my questions:

1.  The VMware VIBE plugin is only supported on Windows through use of the SC Agent.  Do I install VIBE on the vCenter server with the SC Agent?

2.  Should I use SMVI to backup the VMs and use Snap Creator to backup the DBs separately (I would prefer to have a coordinated quiesced VM and DB)?

3.  Is the VIBE plugin required?  When creating the configuration for the profile selecting the 'VMware vSphere' plugin its not clear how it interacts with VIBE during the initial configuration, was not sure if it is absolutely required.

4.  I also get the following error during the initial configuration:  [gui-0022] No Datastores found!

- was not sure if this was due to the fact I have not done anything with VIBE yet as I was not sure where I should install VIBE given my configuration...

Thanks for any feedback -

Jerry

6 REPLIES 6

ktenzer

Hi Jerry,

I have tried my best to answer your questions below:

1.  The VMware VIBE plugin is only supported on Windows through use of the SC Agent.  Do I install VIBE on the vCenter server with the SC Agent?

You can do this or you can install scServer somewhere else and scAgent on virtual center, all that is required is scAgent can talk to virtual center, so even that doesnt technically need to be on virtual center system.

Requirements are a windows server that can access virtual center

2.  Should I use SMVI to backup the VMs and use Snap Creator to backup the DBs separately (I would prefer to have a coordinated quiesced VM and DB)?

I would keep it spearate if possible and use SMVI for VMs and SC for DBs. Coordinating certainly adds a lot of complexity however it is possible. I would only coordinate however if DB is not installed in RDMs or NFS.

In this case you have two options:

1) Use SMVI and pre/post scripts to call SC to do quiesce/unquiesce of DB

2) Use SC VIBE plugin and DB2 plugin. This requires creating a VM + App consistent backup. I would use GUI wizzard. Make sure you enable SC_AGENT_WATCHDOG=Y it isnt set by default you need to edit config file manually (will be default in 3.5). What SC does is build 4 configs.

You get 2 configs to do quiesce/unquiesce of VMware and DB2

You get a master config which runs the two plugin configs and takes snapshots

You get a restore config for restoring the VM

Regards,

Keith

3.  Is the VIBE plugin required?  When creating the configuration for the profile selecting the 'VMware vSphere' plugin its not clear how it interacts with VIBE during the initial configuration, was not sure if it is absolutely required.

The VIBE plugin is built into SC so if in SC you choose VMware then you are using VIBE plugin. Also make sure you are using SC 3.4.0 NOT 3.4p1 (there is a bug introduced in 3.4p1 which breaks vibe). A 3.4p2 release will be out in another week so you can use that or 3.4.0.

4.  I also get the following error during the initial configuration:  [gui-0022] No Datastores found!

- was not sure if this was due to the fact I have not done anything with VIBE yet as I was not sure where I should install VIBE given my configuration...

SC 3.4.0 has a bug that can cause this. If you have two datacenters in vcenter and one datacenter has no datastores. Could that be case? If so fix is coming in 3.4p2

jntballard

Thanks Keith -

I will wait for 3.4p2 and try it then.  The client indicated they can wait, and are in the process of creating Data Centers with no systems in them yet in vSphere.

I was also considering using Snap Creator to orchestrate the backups calling SMVI (via CLI) vs. SMVI calling SC for the backup of the DB... the goal would be to have one (or a couple configs) that would act as a pseudo 'consitency group' for 4 systems that need to be quiesced at the same time (as close as possible) to ensure a valid recovery point due to application dependancies... I have not decided yet if it is better to let SMVI orchestrate this, or let SC be the orchestrator.

When 3.4p2 is available, I thought I remember reading on a previous thread that it will support porting the schedules that are created within the GUI on 3.4 to 3.4p2.  Is that true?  We currenlty have about 25 schedules... would not want to have to recreate them from scratch.

Thanks,

Jerry

ktenzer

Yep 3.4p2 also fixes bug with upgrading ie: porting schedules so that is another fix

I will add an announcement as soon as it is available with a link, target is Nov 18 so next Friday

Regards,

Keith

ktenzer

Hey also if you are partner you might want to checkout SC 3.5.0c, we have a community / early adopter's release, just a warning it isnt supported by NGS / NetApp, but you can get help from Snap Creator Developer Community.

www.snapcreator.com

Regards,

Keith

jntballard

Hi Keith,

Yes - I am a partner, and as of this morning signed up on the dev community.

My only hesitation with SC 3.5.0c is supportability given this is a produciton environment, but SC 3.4 is very solid, knowing that SC 3.5.0c supports additional enhancements, I am still trying to decide if SC 3.5.0c might be worth moving to next (if it also supports the porting of the schedules, that would be another plus).

Thanks,

Jerry

ktenzer

Well it isnt like we didnt QA 3.5.0c however certainly not as much as what goes into the NetApp release.

However releasing first to the community helps ensure NetApp release is even more stable so I fully encourage folks using this. It also gives you opportunity to provide feedback so things we may still be able to change before the NetApp release comes out. I guess it comes down to how comfortable you are with open source style support. So email, IRC chat, community posts

The developers stand behind the community release!

At the end of the day it is all the same code and mostly the same people, though more are involved with community than NetApp release ;D

Regards,

Keith

Public