Data Backup and Recovery

SnapCenter 4.2 - Data Broker migration

Tony87

Hi,

I have migrated our SnapCenter to the Data Broker virtual appliance as instructed in https://library.netapp.com/ecm/ecm_download_file/ECMLP2858035 page 25 using the following command:

invoke-SCVOVAMigration -SourceSCVHost old-SCV-host-IP -DestinationSCVOVAHost new-OVA-IP -OVACredential OVA-credentials -ByPassValidationCheck -Overwrite -ContinueMigrationOnStorageError -ScheduleOffsetTime time-offset

This works but I noticed immediately  after the migration has finished, the data broker appliance runs ALL backups manually. I don't know why this happens but as you can imagine this creates quite a mess. Suddenly daily/weekly/monthly backups are trigged at the same time.

Any ideas why this might happen?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Tony87

NetApp support confirmed this is a bug and will be fixed in a future release.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Tony87

NetApp support confirmed this is a bug and will be fixed in a future release.

kmichaelsen

Hi 

Glad I saw your post !!

I have just upgraded to Snapcenter 4.2 and was about to do the VMware Vsphere plugin-in migrate.

Did NetApp mention any date for new release that have fixed this BUG ? 

Tony87

Hi,

They confirmed this won't be patched in the current release but it's fixed in the new release.

But they did not give me a release date. So we'll have to wait this one out..

Sanjuro

How do you put in the OVA credentials properly? I'm not prompted for a password input and it fails with: 

invoke-SCVOVAMigration : Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

NTAp-AVS

Sanjuro, 

You will need to upgrade Snapcenter to 4.2 first. 

-------------------------------

Login to the Snapcenter Web Page - Select settings - Credentials

Select New

Credential Name : <virtual name>

Username :

< this is the admin user name that you configured for your NDB while deploying OVA. 

The last screen where you provide Vcenter Credentials first and then the user account for NDB. You need to use that account>

Password: 

Authentication Method : Linux 

-------------------------------------

invoke-SCVOVAMigration -SourceSCVHost old-SCV-host-IP -DestinationSCVOVAHost new-OVA-IP -OVACredential <Virtual Name> -ByPassValidationCheck -Overwrite -ContinueMigrationOnStorageError -ScheduleOffsetTime time-offset

For the OVACredential, please specify the Virtual username that you just created

Regards

storageland

Hi,

just ran into the same trouble. And even worse: it seems that a manual backup is triggered every time when you change the settings of a resource group. So it's not just a problem concerning the migration task. Be careful...

Regards, Frank

Tony87

Correct Frank. NetApp support confirmed me this will be fixed in a future release as well.

Boggles my mind that such bugs end up in a final product release. This product has clearly not been QA'd.

storageland

Hi Tony,

thank you for this information. I totally agree with you. I'd like to wait for a more stable release, but SnapCenter 4.2 is currently the only supported version to use with vSphere 6.7 Update 3.

Regards, Frank

storageland

Hi Tony,

just upgraded to Data Broker 1.0.1. Problem with backups triggered by resource group changes has been resolved in this release. Looks fine.

Regards, Frank

Tony87

Hi Frank,

How does one upgrade Databroker 1.0 to 1.0.1?

There are no upgrade instruction in the documentation. There is no upgrade functionality in the admin console either.

I downloaded the upgrade .iso. Booting from it does not work.

storageland

Hi Tony,

it's quite easy. You have to mount the iso as cdrom for your appliance. Then use maintenance console (default user is maint, password admin123), go to option 2 (System Configuration) and use option 8 to start the upgrade process.

A little strange that there isn't any documentation about it...

Tony87

Thanks! Didn't think of checking the maintenance console 🙂

Public