Data Backup and Recovery

SnapCenter plugin for VMware vSphere - how to achieve specific retention plan?

JS75

Hello,

Can I achieve the following retention plan for my VM datastores, where the primary (AFF) only keeps 7 daily snapshots, secondary (FAS) keeps 30 daily snapshots and tertiary (FAS remote) keeps 60 daily snapshots? The only tool (apart from ONTAP 9.11) is SnapCenter plugin for VMware vSphere. My concern is that SCV backup policy will only tag snapshots if it's configured to initiate SnapVault to secondary after backup and the policy also defines the number of snapshots to keep. Does this number refers to the local snapshots, remote (secondary) snapshots or both?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Sanaman

I had problem maintaining different counts of snaps in primary and secondary with SnapCenter. At the end I configured SnapCenter to manage snaps (keep 7days) on primary and update the vault. Then configured snapmirror schedule on Secondary clusters to maintain snaps on vaults(14 -30 days). Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

JS75

I'll answer myself - the retention policy in SCV refers to primary snapshots only.

Sanaman

I had problem maintaining different counts of snaps in primary and secondary with SnapCenter. At the end I configured SnapCenter to manage snaps (keep 7days) on primary and update the vault. Then configured snapmirror schedule on Secondary clusters to maintain snaps on vaults(14 -30 days). Hope that helps.

Public