Data Backup and Recovery

SnapCentre VMware Backup - Ensure VM powered Off

darraghos

Not hugely familiar with this product. Can SnapCenter ensure VMs are powered off before being snapped and power on thereafter? I have some Linux appliances that only support snapshots when powered off. 

1 REPLY 1

Ontapforrum

Hi,

I doubt SnapCenter for VMware can - Power-off and Power-on VMs, it will only take snapshots based on the point-in-time state of the VMs i.e On, off or suspended.

However, it does have a provision for pre/post scripts but it has pre-defined Environmental variables.

Support for prescripts and postscripts:
http://docs.netapp.com/ocsc-40/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.netapp.doc.ocsc-dpg-vm%2FGUID-6DF35CD2-7396-40FC-8E45-C464FA1A36F3.html

Scripts are executed according to the value set for BACKUP_PHASE.

BACKUP_PHASE=PRE_BACKUP

Environment variables passed to scripts:
VIRTUAL_MACHINE.# <power-state>|<VM snapshot>|
power-state = has the values POWERED_ON, POWERED_OFF, or SUSPENDED
VM snapshot = has the values true or false

I haven't tested/tried, but I am guessing: If you set the value for - power-state to 'off' and 'VM snapshot 'true'. Then, it will take snapshot only when the state is powered-off.

But, if your intention is to - Trigger Power-off VMs (specific) before snap and Power-on post Snapcenter backups. You may be able to customise and schedule it.

In Theory:
1) Create a separate resource group (name it say -linux-specific) and add the specific Vms (linux ones) to it, set it to run, let's say @21 Hrs everyday.
2) Create a custom pre-script : That checks the state of the VMs in that resource group and if the VMs are power-on, it will be powered-off. Run this script @20:45hrs, so that it will power-off the VMs before the snapcenter job kicks-off.
3) Create a custom post-script : That will power-on the VMs in that resource group. Run this script @21:15. Usually, SnapCenter backup takes less than a minute, so 15 mints are more than enough, you might be able to set it to 21:10hrs.

Thanks!

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public