Data Backup and Recovery

SnapCreator 4.1P2 -1 Invalid response from snap creator server

michaeldparker

Hi,

I installed a new instance of Snapcreator 4.1P2 to ensure that I would not have any problems upgrading my production instance.   I copied over profiles from my production server to test with and all of them worked.  I noticed that I was getting a warning about DB2 cleaning not supported because the agent was not 4.1 or greater (running 4.0 agent).  Despite the warning, all looked good until I upgraded the agent to 4.1P2 on one of the clients.  Now when I start a backup job on that particular client from the gui I receive this error:  Operation failed, Check GUI logs for details (-1 Invalid response from snap creator server).  At that point the console stops refreshing which initially made me think that the job died, but it actually still runs to a successful completion if I look at the logs in the profile and i don't see any errors in the profile.  If I look at the gui.log, I do see an error.  Here is a snippet of it:

2014-08-25 08:43:54,552 [qtp2024674927-41] com.netapp.snapcreator.ui.service.SnapCreatorGUILogger ERROR - Unmarshalling Error: Illegal character ((CTRL-CHAR, code 12))

at [row,col {unknown-source}]: [1,1412]

javax.xml.ws.soap.SOAPFaultException: Unmarshalling Error: Illegal character ((CTRL-CHAR, code 12))

at [row,col {unknown-source}]: [1,1412]

Any thoughts?  The only changes I made on the agent side was adding an "*" into the allowed_commands.config file and cycle the service.  No changes were made on the profile.

Thanks

Michael

8 REPLIES 8

michaeldparker

If I take off the * from the allowed_commands.config file, I received the identical error.  When I check the logs in the profile though, I do see the error "At least one command is not allowed to be executed remotely" and the job fails as I expect.  So, not sure if the gui error is related to the agent or not except that it did not start until I upgraded the agent.  If there aren't any problems, I could always downgrade the agent to 4.0 I suppose, but didn't know what the DB2 warning meant and I thought it'd be best to run the same agent version as the server.

Thanks

spinks

Michael,

Are you restarting your agent after making changes to the allowed_commands.config file?

Any changes are only recognized after a restart.

While "*" will work for testing, I would recommend providing the actual commands you are running in the allowed_commands.config file once you complete testing and are happy with your configuration.

Commands do need to be fully qualified in the Snap Creator 4.1 agent.

Let us know if this helps.

John

michaeldparker

John,

Thanks for the quick reply.  I am restarting the service.  Thanks for asking.

I'll play with the commands to see if I can get that working and if it helps any. 

Thanks

Michael

michaeldparker

John,

I have been playing with this all morning and I'm having no luck.  As a test, here are a few of the things that I've done.  I removed all commands from my profile.  I still get the error in the gui.  I rebuilt the backup profile from the wizard in the gui.  That didn't help either.  Finally, I uninstalled the 4.1 agent, and re-installed 4.0p1 agent.  It works perfect with no errors.  I haven't actaully attempted to mount the backup to ensure it's fine, but don't see anything to make me suspicious.  The only warning message that I see with the 4.0 agent is this:

Performing cleanup on : db2

[snap:9090 (4.0.0.1) The cleanup method is only supported with SC Agent 4.1 or greater - Skipping.

Honestly, I don't even know what it is trying to tell me.  I just figure that I should probably be on the latest agent to ensure maximum compatibility and to ensure that I don't hit any problems down the road.

Any further thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Michael

spinks

Michael,

I forwarded to the dev team to see if they had any feedback about this issue and how to resolve.

Hopefully either they will respond here, or I will paste any response I get. 

Sorry for the trouble.

John

michaeldparker

Thanks John.  I appreciate the help!

If it helps, as an extra measure, I opened up a ticket from the web as well.  Of course the ticket is not assigned to anyone yet.  Ticket # 2005206944

Thanks

Michael

Arora_Kapil

Not sure if it will help but sometimes it does.

1) Clean the browser cache and try again.

2) try a different browser

Thanks,

kapil

michaeldparker

Thanks for the reply ... gave it a try and no luck though.

Public