Data Backup and Recovery

SnapDrive 6.3P2: Timeout has occurred while waiting for disk arrival notification from the operating system

penningtonkr

Hi all,

I am running the following VM with Snapdrive 6.3P2:

Windows Server 2008 R2

An initial map of luns worked correctly, however when i now try to connect more luns i recieve the following errors:

Failed to connect to LUN. Failure in connecting to the LUN.

LUN Name = SQL_TMMIRRSQLSRV01_UserLOGS

Storage Path = /vol/Flex_SQLvol_TMMIRRSQLSRV01_UserLOGS_6_28_15_33_43_277/

Protocol Type = LUN

Storage System Name = CTN-FAS01

Requested Mount Point = L

Assigned Mount Point = L

Error code : Timeout has occurred while waiting for disk arrival notification from the operating system.

I can see that snapdrive is communicating with the ESXi host correctly as I can see the following events on the VM event logs:

28/06/2011 22:23:59 Task:

Reconfigure virtual machine

info

Reconfigure virtual machine

TMSTGSQLSRV01

XXXXXX\TMsnapdrive_srv

28/06/2011 22:24:07

Reconfigured virtual machine

info

XXXXXX\TMsnapdrive_srv

I have tried editing the disk timeout value in registry to the 190 value, this did not fix the problem.

Can anyone suggest a solution to this problem?

I have noticed the following message being displayed on the vcentre, although i am not sure if it is related to the new lun:

Target: 10.XX.X.XX

Stateless event alarm

Alarm Definition:

([Event alarm expression: Host error] OR [Event alarmexpression: Host warning])

Event details:

Issue detected on10.XX.X.XX in Capstan House: NMP:vmk_NmpVerifyPathUID: The physical media represented by devicenaa.60a98000503368366c3464674d496c31 (path vmhba3:C0:T0:L30) ha  (38:04:21:53.040 cpu6:727988)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

penningtonkr

Watan,

I found the solution to this issue.

It seems that for some reason, on this particular attach it attached to the VM and was therefore inserted into the config file for the VM, but it was not attached or visible to the OS.

I removed the RDM lun from the config file (you can use the edit VM GUI to do this too) and rescanned the disks. Using snapdrive CLI i can now mount, dismount, delete all LUNS as required.

So if you come accross this error, ensure that all LUNS in the config actually reference live drives correctly otherwise windows will not mount them, this causes problems between the VM and OS layers whereby it will timeout for any futher drive mount, dismount and delete requests until the faulty entry is removed from the VM settings.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

watan

Were these luns created outside of SDW?  Has it worked before?  Have you tried creating new luns with SDW and connect? 

If you haven't already, please open a support case so they can collect logs if needed.

penningtonkr

Watan,

I found the solution to this issue.

It seems that for some reason, on this particular attach it attached to the VM and was therefore inserted into the config file for the VM, but it was not attached or visible to the OS.

I removed the RDM lun from the config file (you can use the edit VM GUI to do this too) and rescanned the disks. Using snapdrive CLI i can now mount, dismount, delete all LUNS as required.

So if you come accross this error, ensure that all LUNS in the config actually reference live drives correctly otherwise windows will not mount them, this causes problems between the VM and OS layers whereby it will timeout for any futher drive mount, dismount and delete requests until the faulty entry is removed from the VM settings.

Public