Data Backup and Recovery

SnapManager for SharePoint ... so confused

alliantenergynjk

I have been tasked with installing SnapManager for SharePoint, running on a VMware environment.  I am not a storage admin, so I know very little about NetApp or it's technologies.

I start reading the doucmentation, and it says I need SnapManager for SQL installed first.

I start reading the documentation for SQL and it says I need to install the SnapDrive first.

I start reading the documentation for SnapDrive and it say I need to install SMVI to integrate with vCenter.

I start reading the documentation for SMVI, and it says:

SnapManager for Virtual Infrastructure provides rapid backup and restoration of VMware virtual

machines and datastores whose active images reside on NetApp storage systems running Data ONTAP.

I already have a tool installed on our vCenter server called "Virtual Storage Console" (installed from VSC-2.0-win64.exe) that includes the ability to backup and restore VMs - so why do I need a second utility, SMVI, which seems to do the same thing?

Secondly, I am trying to figure out WHERE to install SMVI.  Do I install it on the vCenter server, do I install it on the VM Guest OS, or do I install it on my management PC so that I can remotely do backups?  But I again, I already have this functionality in vCenter using the VSC.

Can anyone help explain this?

Thanks

Nelson

1 REPLY 1

alliantenergynjk

Sorry, I got my wires crossed a bit.  I guess the reference to SMVI is in the SQL documentation and I believe it mentions to install in on the vCenter server.  So that is answered.  I guess I just don't know why I need SMVI when I already have VSC.

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public